CONVOLVULUS

branpy, Dec 11, 10:24am
I have both oxalis and convulvulus in my garden.I know I'm lucky ;)

I seached previous threads and saw some tips to get rid of the oxalis with a spray made from backing soda and rainguard or straight vinegar.

Using something more natural would be my preference as I have young children who play in the garden daily.

There has not been anything non toxic that will kill the convolvulus mentioned in previous threads anyone have any ideas!

I do fork it out but it is also in with other shrub/tree root systems and under some paving and I can't pull all of it out,I have a good go at it and a fortnight later its creeping back.

Thanks

lythande1, Dec 11, 6:12pm
Oxalis! Difficult without real poison.
The vine though.it's fairly easy, just dig it out. Better to spray wahts left, but if you dig, then monitor it, keep o with any new bits that grow, it's not that hard to get rid of.

venna2, Dec 11, 7:30pm
I've found with convolvulus that if I pull it off whatever it's clinging to before it starts flowering, it doesn't come back so much the following year. A gradual process.

tigra, Dec 11, 8:11pm
Bit like Wandering jew. If you keep at it it will eventually disappear .or go soewhere else.LOL

lemming2, Dec 12, 1:24am
The Baking soda one works pretty well for this season's growth; it will return next year though. You could try cutting the stem of the convolvulus and dabbing the stump with Vigilant then removing the top growth. That way you don't have to spray; the Vigilant is a gel and you only need a tiny amount directly on the fresh cut.

tama2toes, Dec 12, 5:26am
Used 'Yates Turfix'. GONE!

rsr72, Dec 12, 5:46am
Roundup kills off oxalis.
No problem with it after a day or two from spraying.

branpy, Dec 12, 7:43pm
I don't want to use roundup well definitely not at the moment as the oxalis is all through the vege patch and and I won't spray near what we are eating also I would rather avoid toxic spray as kids are out in the garden everyday.

I have improved the oxalis a lot by digging it up and getting the bulbs its very sneaky though as often when you disturb the soil the bulb breaks away from the stalk part.

I am supprised someone said they got rid of the convulvulus only by pulling the vine down before it flowers.When I first moved here I spent ages pulling roots out of ground I was almost rid of it.Then neglected it for two summers just pulling out the vine and a bit of the roots if they pulled up easy when I saw it but not actually digging it up very much. I am 100% its spread it the last two years think it concentrated on spreading actually :( as now its in an area with shrubs and paving so I can't really pull it out so easily.

rsr72, Dec 12, 9:55pm
#8- Leave most of the oxalis alone in the vegie patch until end of summer and picking is finished. Pull out all plants leaving just the thriving oxalis and weeds then spray heavily with Roundup. Leave for three or more weeks, then you can dig over and replant.
You won't have any, or many, surviving into next summer.

texastwo, Dec 12, 10:23pm
Just pulling Convulvulus out wont get rid of it. Better to spray the leave heavilywith a known vine killer - Vigilant, Ultimate and Banvine are all excellent. Spraying the leaves means more of the weedkiller is absorbed into the plant

cbk50, Dec 15, 2:48am
I mixed up woody weedkiller and put it in small plastic bags and tied them on to the convulvulus making sure the vine was in the liquid - it took time but did kill it all.