Silverbeet

lynd1lou, Dec 11, 5:22am
Why is my silverbeet going to seed shortly after I plant them

nitpnz, Dec 11, 5:48am
lengthening daylight hours, dry conditions.
Spring planted silver beet usually goes to seed early, best to use the whole plant rather than pick leaves from many plants in the early part of the season
Silver beet seed sown after the summer stolstice 22nd December will mature in late summer and stand for use through winter, going to seed in early Spring.Best to grow from seed, not buy plants at this time of year

good luck

hindsfeet, Dec 11, 6:30am
a bit of silverbeet information that might interest you.
6 ways Swiss chard will boost your health

1. Swiss chard contains 13 different polyphenol antioxidants.

2. Chard is a source of a phytonutrient called betalains, which are found in the veins and stem of Swiss chard. Betalains have an antiodixant, anti-inflammatory and detoxifying effect on the body.

3. Swiss chard contains a high amount of fiber and protein, both of which help stabilize blood sugar levels.

4. Swiss chard is high in Vitamin K - according to whfoods.com, there's six to eight times the recommended daily amount in just one cup of boiled chard. This vitamin helps you maintain strong and healthy bones.

5. It contains a high amount of Vitamin C, giving your immune system a boost with each and every bite.

6. High in Vitamin A, Swiss chard will help keep your eyesight in tip top shape.

gag5, Dec 11, 8:13am
would that be the same for perpetual spinach! Sorry OP to jump in!

nitpnz, Dec 11, 6:23pm
I don't know about the perpetual spinach, it's supposed to be a non-bolting variety, but I prefer the Bright Lights and those with the white rib. New Zealand Spinach is my pick-and come-againall-time favouite

I am reduced to barrel gardens now

edited to remove broken link to my "gardening"

mrfxit, Dec 11, 8:08pm
Got 2 silverbeet plants growing really well that are left over from last year.
The trunks would be an easy 7cm wide now & growing along the ground.
Producing a fair amount of leaves as well.

last 1 I had like that strayed upright but only had a single head that I could use.

stevee6, Dec 11, 9:09pm
Plants such as silverbeet, spinach, parsley, parcel and most brassicas go to seed now because it's the time of year for them to reproduce. The great thing is, if you keep seed and sow it, planting young seedlings now should keep you going over summer and into winter, as they won't go to seed until next summer. Not 100% reliable though -I've got new parsley and some is bushing out nicely while the other is going to seed already.

kaliyuga, Dec 12, 11:38pm
perpetual spinach is the same. sow november onwards

wayne472, Dec 13, 10:13pm
Your plants have "BOLTED"

Their lives have been threatened in some way so the next thing the young plants want to do is reproduce by going to seed called "bolting"

Bolting is caused by any checks they have had in their growth such as too dry, too wet, up and down temperature fluctuations etc. For instance there maybe a couple of days when it is sunny and warm giving good growth, then cold rains along with chilling winds halt the growth. Repeat this pattern two or three times and our vegetables say this is not good so we better reproduce.

Have A look here it may help you!
http://tinyurl.com/bkgg79e

Edit --- Grow "Foodhook Giant" variety of Silver beet and you wont get this problem!

mwood, Dec 14, 2:20am
planted after the shortest day should be good for winter greens

mwood, Dec 15, 4:53pm
whoops . planted after the LONGEST day should be good for winter greens