Portable aircon units

aeromo, Dec 2, 1:53pm
Anyone used one? Is this a solution for a small office?
They look like dehumifier only are for cooling

gpg58, Dec 2, 2:09pm
yes and no, they are cheap compared to a real a/c unit, and work ok, but require a duct to outside, and use some of the cooled air you just paid for, to cool condenser(discharged outside), also generally noisy too, as compressor is inside versus outside for proper systems.

Also A real unit will also give you economical heating in the winter, so is a much better investment all round.

But budget wise, even a swamp box (evaporative cooler) is better than nothing at all, if maintained, they got the name swamp box(or legionella breeder) for good reason.

Currently playing with one of these, not bad for giving some cool air, for a small space, but was not enough for chap i bought it for, so installed a real a/c unit.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/rechargeable-mini-evaporative-cooler-fan/p/GH1285 $129 here

aeromo, Dec 2, 2:14pm
When you say vent to outside, how does that happen? Like a dryer so you have to have vent put in wall?

gpg58, Dec 2, 2:17pm
correct. or more Usually, you get adaptors to fit in a part open window.

morticia, Dec 2, 2:30pm
I've had one for years that I use every summer. It's great in the small area I use it in, I'm not trying to cool a whole room with it but the swing function would probably achieve that if I needed it to and if placed to maximise coverage. It's a standalone unit with no external cooling venting needed, can add ice to it to add to the cooling capacity.

gpg58, Dec 2, 2:33pm
The other option on a budget, is a window rattler (guess where they got the name) proper name RAC or wrac (window room air conditioner), if you have a spare window or wall space to install. Again not an equal for a proper system, but better than portable(no wasted air) or swampys.

gpg58, Dec 2, 2:36pm
sounds like a swamp box, as said they do go ok, but only if humidity is low to moderate, as they work by evaporating water to absorb heat, best case is usually 4 deg temp drop, a bit more with ice, (air in versus out), in high humidity they are gutless .

aeromo, Dec 2, 2:38pm
What legionella breeder?
Could be dodgy especially at work.

gpg58, Dec 2, 2:40pm
Only if not maintained. Commercial units have a monthly clean, and biocide blocks in the tank.

morticia, Dec 2, 2:41pm
Each to their own, maybe your didn't work as you wanted and you found it to be "gutless", this one works just fine, does exactly what we want for not a great deal of cost and we don't exactly have low humidity here.

aeromo, Dec 2, 2:41pm
Just googled and now know what you mean.

gpg58, Dec 2, 2:42pm
40 years domestic and commercial trade experience, auckland and christchurch.

But as said, much better than nothing at all, even 4 deg drop feels like magic when its hot.
But sitting in 21 deg here, showing 32 deg outside, 4 real system(whole house) just idling to hold temp, can not beat real stuff.

aeromo, Dec 2, 2:49pm
Good to hear morticia, that it works for you. We don't want it too cold (well i don't other person does, so a compromise perhaps)
So you can get non venting types then by sound of it.

aeromo, Dec 2, 2:57pm
Does that mean you have to empty them?

gpg58, Dec 2, 3:06pm
Ideally yes, leaving water sitting in a container, in a warm place, can cause mould to breed(or even legionella), not to mention the media water runs over staying damp, that is why even a/c units sometimes have a self clean mode on cooling, which is merely leaving the fan running after compressor turns off, to dry the coil.

aeromo, Dec 2, 3:17pm
Thanks for all the information, it is great and food for thought.

gpg58, Dec 2, 3:22pm
ps, sitting beside me now(dropped in for a dram), is don gibbs, long retired head of design and development for PDL industries, and also head of health and safety there, should anyone doubt that maintaining swamp boxes is a legal requirement commercially.

aeromo, Dec 2, 3:52pm
Yeah which might add to my ammo. Been a restriction on capital exp. at work unless health & safety. I might be able to put up good argument for the purchase of proper one that gets maintained with the other three we already have in other rooms. (childcare)

daz59, Dec 3, 10:03pm
I ran two pipes outside so the air required to cool the radiator waa drawn from outside rather than from the cool air inside the room, helped a little but the portable units are rubbish compared to a proper heatpump. After using the portable unit for a few months in my office I had a proper heatpump installed, was 10 times more effective than the portable unit and used less power.

rohoman, Dec 4, 3:39pm
Agreed with most of the comments here. I have a larger Carrier portable (on wheels) AC unit, and have also witnessed a smaller unit in operation. My Carrier unit is reasonably efficient, but the fan is noisy when it's on high - and that's the setting that it really needs to work properly. As said above, with the way the unit operates it uses some of the cooled air that it has made to cool the condenser, which reduces efficiency. A friend has a heatpump (split system) - it's quiet and very efficient. It cools his whole unit down in less than 15 minutes and keeps it that way after switching down to low.
With my Carrier unit, it really needs to stay on permanently (and on high) to keep the room at a comfortable temperature.

eljayv, Dec 4, 3:56pm
Please tell us you model or brand please?

dollydot, Jan 31, 5:56pm
Morticia what make/type is yours? Looking for an air cooler for our sons bedroom in his flat where a heat pump is not an option.