Mould on Fibre Cement

dee238, Mar 22, 6:40pm
I have one of those old type houses that are 3/4s wood and bottom 1/4 is fibre cement. It now has a couple of places with pink patches on it, which I have been told is mould. Does anyone have any homemade DIY ideas that could take it off? If failing that I will get an expert in to do it. Tia.

happychappy50, Mar 22, 6:43pm
If it is on a shady side of the house it could be mould,clean it off with a bleach then repaint with a mould inhibitor added to the paint

bluefrog2, Mar 25, 3:38am
I was told once never to scrub cement fibreboard from the 1960's-70's because most of it had asbestos mixed in. Painting over shouldn't be a problem though.

zeepaardje, Mar 27, 7:52am
white vinegar should kill it.

mm12345, Feb 22, 12:50am
Don't put white vinegar on fibrolite/AC sheet. It will damage the surface either lifting the paint, and/or allowing release of the asbestos fibres.
I'm not keen on the idea of bleach either, as if the AC is painted, then bleach is quite alkaline and may damage the existing paint - so it can't be re-painted easily. You need to keep the existing paint good - and overcoat it.
Better IMO to use a dilute quat based product (wet and forget or equivalent), then an anti-mould additive in the paint when repainting.