Pavers as a mowing strip ?

digmen1, Mar 30, 8:00pm
I am keen to tidy up my lawn etc.

I want some mowing strips but dont want the effort of laying concrete mowing strips.

I was thinking of buying some concrete pavers and laying them.

What do you think?

tigra, Mar 30, 8:32pm
They will almost certainly get weeds growing up between the pavers

budgel, Mar 30, 8:54pm
There will be almost the same amount of effort correctly laying pavers as there would be pouring a concrete strip.

pixma, Mar 30, 10:20pm
Have done just this right around the backyard during the last two Xmas breaks. Used 160+ pavers. Looks much better than concrete imo and no weeds. It's great being able to mow the lawn now without the mower "falling" into the garden. Also gives a nice straight edge for the string trimmer.

tigra, Mar 31, 8:53pm
160+ pavers @ $4.50 ea can buy a lot of concrete

woody89, Mar 31, 9:00pm
Assuming they bought them new, 2nd hand can be much cheaper or even free.
Have used bricks & pavers for mowing strips previously & found they were easy to do, could do it as the mood struck, as many or as few as I could be bothered with. No issues with weeds.

sharchew, Apr 1, 2:09am
I used old red bricks I got for nothing turned out great

digmen1, Apr 1, 5:46am
Thanks.
I kind of like the pavers ideas as I can do a few here and there with not so much energy as having to dig a whole mowing strip in one go and line it etc.

pixma, Apr 1, 8:06am
these are only 230x190, $1.40 each

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 1, 9:11pm
Bricks work well as suggested and I found them easier to place being smaller. I also dug a trench between the brick edging and the garden beds which let the mower run right over the brick without hitting dirt, and it was great drainage. Took a while to work the whole way round a big garden, but boy it looked glorious all done. Well worth the sore knees!

georgep31, Apr 2, 8:05am
Ive been thinking about doing the same thing.
Have people used any kind of "base" underneath their bricks/pavers?
I like the idea of just digging a narrow trench and placing the bricks, but I have clay soil and am worried the bricks will move around

pixma, Apr 3, 4:06am
I didn't realize people just put them down without doing anything. For the first few, I compacted down a sand base. For the bulk of what I did, I used a firm concrete mix. Doubt they'll move.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 3, 4:13am
I dug back into the lawn so the base was fairly compacted already. The odd one moved but it was easy enough to lift it, pack it slightly and replace. Round curves I used sea sand to fill gaps, the salt discouraged weeds.

ebygum1, Feb 15, 2:47pm
Get crusher dust from your local quarry or drainage supplies yard.Cheap as chips and makes an excellent base.If you are worried about weeds in the cracks just lay the pavers with a little mortar.