Anyone designed or built a pagoda?

gamefisher, Jan 1, 8:00am
Not finished yet it a work in progress but will post some photos Sun/Mon yes my design and welding. A lot cheaper than getting an Archgola firm to build it plus it will be stronger. Can give you a costing if you wish.

mtbotrev, Jan 1, 8:08am
I have a gazebo temporarily under our triangular pergola!. works a treat so far this summer.

corogirl, Jan 4, 4:49am
This is what I did and under 20m2 you don't need a consent although it must still be built to code ( which mine is). https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/437871751.jpg

daryl14, Jan 6, 7:54pm
corogirl wrote:
This is what I did and under 20m2 you don't need a consent although it must still be built to code ( which mine is). https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/437871751.jpg[/quote . Is that one all wood? Looks like is is fixed down to pavers? Is there a footing under the post?

daryl14, Dec 24, 4:25am
How did you go about it? We have an approx 4x6 concrete patio I would like to roof over to keep the sun and rain out. Initial thoughts are to get three steel portals welded and dyna-bolted down. I'd make it higher than the existing house and run the guttering into the house gutter. Would like it strong enough to do full glass on at least one side. Any thoughts or ideas? Merry Xmas guys.

clangie, Dec 24, 4:41am
youd need a more substantial foundation than a patio as there is also wind loading to be thought of eg uplift. and most likely the scumbag council will want $$$$ aswell lol

wine-o-clock, Dec 24, 5:40am

daryl14, Dec 24, 6:40am
Pergola?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergola

I'm well aware they go by about 6 different names in this country thank you.

summersunnz, Dec 24, 6:48am
Check to make sure your house guttering will handle the extra flow of water from the new roof, so it doesn't flood over - with the possibility of going into eaves/roof space.

golfdiver, Dec 25, 12:56am
I have done it but I somehow don't think I can describe the process on a message forum

wine-o-clock, Dec 25, 1:09am
thankyou, but a 'pagoda' as u asked about, and a 'pergola' are 2 totally different structures!

tahnasha, Dec 25, 8:21am
We used a carport type roof for our one.

daryl14, Dec 25, 8:58am
Well that's just maddeningly unhelpful. - captain Jack Sparrow.

daryl14, Dec 26, 7:23pm
Can you post a photo of the finished structure?

jonners2013, Dec 26, 7:48pm
I'm still confused about what you actually want to build. A pagoda or a pergola?

daryl14, Dec 26, 8:05pm
A roofed structure over my patio, Like I clearly posted in my first post, which I may close in on one or two sides with glass or possibly clear blinds for outdoor living, bbq-ing, etc. A pergola has no weatherproof or sun-proof roofing and is purely decorative with no obvious usefulness in my opinion.

I could call it a gazebo too but then someone will probably post a picture of a camping one. I don't want to call it a sun room either. Doesn't seem to be a widely used term for it here in nz and I am finding it difficult to find plans, or info on how to build. Yet you see these structures outside most new houses. Someone is building them. Surely I don't need to go and grease the palm of a draftsman or architect to design a simple structure?

underconstructy, Dec 26, 8:10pm
If there so such a simple structure as you say, why haven't you designed and built it yourself?

gamefisher, Dec 26, 11:30pm
Archgola is probably what you want I am building one at the moment out of steel my design using polycarbonate roof and 'clears' same as boat for the sides. Can you weld simple and strong to make and is it 6*4 Meters or feet
Look at this site for samples
http://www.archgola.co.nz/

annam08, Dec 28, 11:28pm
According to our local council what you want is called a veranda. Our council requires planning permission if building a veranda over 20 square metres iin size. A veranda can have one or more walls.

monsieurl, Dec 29, 8:36pm
Who cares what it's called. the OP clearly explained what he was wanting and yet people STILL have to post moronic douchbag comments! Either contribute positively or not at all, or is that concept a little hard for you know it alls?!

daryl14, Dec 30, 3:52am
Cheers Monsie. Lol I didn't set out to start a shit slinging match. I guess all the builders are out in their fishing boats and the only ones left here are couch know it alls.

gamefisher, Dec 31, 7:45am
Mine is 8meters by 5 meters Post are 75mm*75mm*5mm RHS, Girders on top of post 75m**50mm*4mm RHS, curved beams 50mm*50mm*4mm welded between girders then purlins 40mm*40mm*4mm welded between beams. Post 2.6 meters apart, beams 2 meters apart and purlins720mm apart. We will be putting balustrade glass in between the post.
Only thing is rain water flows both sides of arch but you could still do something similar if you wanted a flat roof but an arch roof is stronger.

daryl14, Mar 31, 1:56am
Awesome game fisher. Did you design and weld yourself? Can you post a photo?