Survey pegs? Do I legally have to tell my

Page 1 / 2
aveross, Dec 9, 1:43am
neighbour where they are.Had my place surveyed 10 years ago so I could put my fence up on my side of the boundary. Neighbour reacons fence isn't on my side, he's being a jerk and as I paid all the costs to get the property surveyed just wondered if I actually have to tell him where they are!Think I still remember!

trade4us2, Dec 9, 1:48am
The survey pegs should still be in place. It's an offence to move them.
I usually put a big white pole nearby my pegs, since plants get to grow up to a metre high around them.

captaingraham, Dec 9, 2:25am
If you are bitching about telling him where the pegs are, I wonder who is the biggest jerk!

mrploppy, Dec 9, 2:54am
Be a nice neighbour and tell him where they are just to prove you are right and he is wrong about the fence line. I always triy to maintain nice relationships with neighbours, no matter how much a jerk they might be - less stress in the long run!

r.g.nixon, Dec 9, 3:02am
Look here: www.wams.org.nz
If the orthophotography is within say the last 8 years, it should be positionally very accurate, say within 0.5m.
You will see the cadastral lines in blue over the aerial photo.

net_oz, Dec 9, 7:31am
Very accurate within 0.5m. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

r.g.nixon, Dec 9, 7:32am
OK, so maybe not accurate enough for some people, but it will give you a 1m square location where the peg should be found.

trade4us2, Dec 9, 8:12am
I found my pegs on this bank with a Tom Tom
http://i47.tinypic.com/9k5cva.jpg

40wav, Dec 9, 9:21am
Agreed. Dont drag it out just to be a smartass. If you built the fence after getting surveyed, the end posts should be very close to the pegs anyway - No!

aveross, Dec 9, 10:02am
Yep, end posts are all on my side of boundary protecting the survey pegs.He removed a peg that he thought was a survey peg.but it wasn't.Never known survey pegs to be 50mm x 20mm, top painted white, only 150mm into the ground and placed there by other neighbour.Maybe why he thinks the fence is off boundary!
Always have done my utmost to be a very good neighbour.This one is just something out of the nasty box.Don't see where I was 'bitching' as he hasn't asked yet and I haven't said I will not show him, certainly not keen to drag anything out with this particular 'gentleman'Wouldn't want him to spend money on a lawyer again, just to be proven wrong.I was just curious as to the legal standing!

pico42, Dec 9, 11:29am
I don't believe there is any legal obligation on you to point out the pegs. But be aware the pegs do not belong to you, they are part of the NZ cadastre, protected by legislation. If your neighbour engages a surveyor to identify the boundaries, they would use those pegs and also have the right to access your property to do so.

pico42, Dec 9, 11:32am
If the photos AND the underlying survey information is relatively recent.

aveross, Dec 9, 12:00pm
Thanks pico42, did know that they don't belong to me or any other neighbour and the use and access thing,just like to protect them as it cost a mint to get survey done and no-way would I want to be doing it again.This neighbour does tend to rip things out, no matter what the law says, if it doesn't suit him.

fifibear, Dec 9, 7:16pm
Where did you get the co-ordinates from! Using a tom tom is a brilliant idea. I'd like to try that as we're having a boundary issue with a neighbour.

redhead96, Dec 9, 8:06pm
If he really wants to know where they are tell him to pay for half the survey.

pericles, Dec 9, 8:09pm
survey pegs are 50 x 25 x 900 long, white topped, I sell and make then

ebygum1, Dec 9, 8:21pm
Survey pegs have always been 75mm x 50mm chamfered on the top,engraved with the lot details and painted white. 50x25 are only used for setting out and marker pegs.

pericles, Dec 9, 8:25pm
that's what is called land transfer pegs

ebygum1, Dec 9, 10:25pm
I have just asked a surveyer about this,he had never heard of a " land transfer peg " and tells me the pegs marking your boundary are correctly called Boundary Pegs.

r.g.nixon, Dec 9, 10:57pm
I can give you your coordinates, but consumer grade GPS units can be off by 10m at times (satellite and atmosphere variability).

pico42, Dec 9, 11:15pm
900mm long! Seems very long.

I have found they vary in size, albeit within the same general dimensions. They no longer need to be white topped. Plastic pegs are also becoming more popular.

I can't say I have heard of them described as land transfer pegs.

ebygum1, Dec 9, 11:42pm
I think you will find the 900mm ones are used to mark the boundary pegs to make them easier to find in long grass/underegrowth,and to stop them being destroyed by mowers and excavators.

pico42, Dec 10, 2:53am
Thanks Ebygum1, of course he is talking about survey stakes, not legal survey pegs. I should have read the dimensions more closely.

krames, Dec 10, 7:17am
about 300mm long

morrisjvan, Dec 10, 7:30am
if the fence is on your side , then the pegs will be on his side ,one each end of the fence .surly he would be able to find them with out too much effort !