Monarch caterpillars

masterchief117, Feb 1, 5:39am
Our swan plants have been covered in caterpillars but they all disappear from the plant as they get bigger and they're in a planter box not near anything. I think that my FIL who planted them has put it too directly in the sun as the ones who do stay don't exactly make it to the chrysalis stage we had one die halfway through the chrysalis stage and one who made it but we've had a few that haven't hatched from the chrysalis either :( any clue what might be wrong my poor babies :(

missybenj, Feb 1, 7:05am
They are our little babies, aren't they? My little caterpillars were disappearing and I was getting quite upset. Well, I happened to catch a wasp munching through one of my babies and got very angry. I have since brought my plant inside as there are just too many predators flying around. Birds included. I only have two left now so it's been a difficult year for monarchs around my yard. Hope you discover your problem.

masterchief117, Feb 1, 7:10am
We have lots of caterpillars just had to squash a fair lot of eggs :( they butterflies must be around but i don't ever get the chrysalis'

thea4, Feb 1, 8:57pm
have caterpillars and plants near a large letter box of which the underneath has been taken over and now has a mass of chrysalis on it, people in the know bend to check them as they pass by,nice way to say HI to neighbours.

koru67, Feb 1, 9:27pm
Wasps and praying mantis will kill and eat your chrysalis'. Maybe head over to the Monarch Butterfly NZ website and have a read.

koru67, Feb 1, 9:29pm
Yesterday we saw some people with kids buying 2 smallish swan plants from the garden centre. One plant already had quite a substantial caterpillar on it .Oops . I hope they have more plants at home. We all know how quickly plants can be consumed.

harrislucinda, Feb 1, 9:33pm
I have been protecting my native butterfly I see caterpillars on my nettle at least they have plenty to eat

brightlights60, Feb 2, 4:22am
Mrs B here. Breaks my heart. Kids are going to be devastated when the caterpillars go walkies to get more food.
We run a system here that works really well. I have 3 large plants per large pot (I cover them for the first year, let them get big and strong so when they come back after Winter they do well). I made "teepees" out of wind net and cover 2 pots at a time and expose the third plant to butterflies who lay eggs. Always, always cull if you have too many eggs. Its not good having loads of caterpillars and not enough food. Cruel to the caterpillars and the plants. When the plants in the first pot are munched down, I expose the second pot and cover the first. Then repeat. By the time the last pot is munched down, there is enough growth on the first to start again. You can do a whole production of these, covering up "future food" for the caterpillars the whole summer long, to ensure a plentiful supply of food for caterpillars and a nice supply of butterflies at the end.
The nurseries sell single plants because its how they make lots of money, people keep coming back to buy more and more. I buy the sees off here, I use the Giant Swan Plants as they are very hardy.

masterchief117, Feb 3, 12:55am
I keep culling eggs but yet somehow i must be missing some because we still have lots of caterpillars :/

lemming2, Feb 4, 4:42am
Birds won't eat the caterpillars. They're coloured as they are to warn the birds that they taste bad. Wasps, however, are another story (and, presumably, colourblind or tastebud free). I once even saw 2 ants dragging a newly hatched minute caterpillar off its leaf to be taken and eaten .

masterchief117, Feb 7, 6:35am
My garage is full of chrysalis' about 9 of them lmao

flaxplant, Feb 7, 8:49am
I hope those with caterpillar problems can resolve them.

I'm afraid we have 3 trees but no caterpillars and no sign of any butterflies. If anyone near Morrinsville or Hamilton has spare caterpillars I would gladly come pick some up to get some monarchs re-established in our garden.

5425, Feb 8, 1:06am
Do Monarchs return to their birth plant to place eggs.?

linda61, Feb 8, 9:10am
WE have had to bring ours inside due to wasps! Trouble is the plants are in the ground so we have a container with leaves in and three caterpillars, getting larger by the day. Wondering what to do when they are reading to change?

missybenj, Jul 14, 11:40am
I have my plant in a pot in laundry and plan to wait until the butterfly is out and drying its wings and then will take plant outside for final drying off BUT I will be watching over it until it flies off safely. Over the top? Maybe. lol

Edit to say: wasps were munching their way through my caterpillars as well and it was horrible to see hence bring plant inside.