Dye running in new tea towels

eljayv, Mar 27, 10:34pm
These were a gift to me and I was pretty pleased with them . 4 all together mix and match bundle. However the dye runs and I have tried soaking in vinegar as online suggestion to no avail then vinegar plus salt solution. Any ideas would be appreciated . I have reached the stage where I don't mind if I strip all colour out! The one that is not striped but all one colour. I think will always leach. They maybe a briscoes item, but as I didn't buy them can't be sure.

wasgonna, Mar 27, 11:23pm
Don't you just love these vinegar cures for everything.

deanna14, Mar 27, 11:55pm
I only remember putting good quantity of salt into the rinsing water.

eljayv, Mar 28, 3:30am
I thought that too but didn't work. They are probably not worth too much more effort anyway, still tea towels get wet all the time so I expected them to at least be colourfast.

jsimons12, Mar 28, 3:49am
I'm not sure if they are all one colour or patterned? If they are patterned. Napisan for colours (the pink tub) might work on the dye part & brighten the white or light areas where it has run. Also one of those colour erase things you can buy off tv, if you put it just on the dye run patches.

If they are all one colour & just leaking - & you need to stop the leak. Make sure you always wash in cold water if you are not already (disinfect with Dettol in wash liquid). To fix the dye - try drying them in the dryer on a medium or low setting to fix the colour. Then iron them after they are dry.

eljayv, Mar 28, 6:03am
Thanks for those ideas will try them. Some are striped and only some colours run, one single coloured was maroon sort of colour but is now shocking pink and this one loses the most colour.

yapper, Mar 29, 12:47am
What is 'good quality' salt, I'd like to know. I thought salt was salt was salt.

coralsnake, Mar 29, 12:52am
Dylon have a product on the market - saw it in Countdown this past week.

Also there is another product if you think colors will run, pop a sheet of it into the washing machine. I brought a bunch of packets from the US with me but see similar is available here now. Works a treat!

coralsnake, Mar 29, 1:12am

fantail8, Apr 4, 8:15pm
red and blue dyes are notorious for running.

lilyfield, Apr 4, 8:43pm
Janola.

eljayv, Feb 14, 5:41am
I did use colour run but would love to know where I could find another dylon product called colour catcher.