Reupholster/covering a lazy boy chair

tigra, Jan 18, 1:20am
I would think a guesstimate of $800 would be bit low might be closer to $1200 and the material would be extra.

magoo2, Jan 18, 5:14am
around 5 mts of fabric and about a days labour

buzz123, Jan 15, 6:45am
I'm just wanting to hear feedback of anyone who may have reupholstered or recovered a lazyboy chair; my older Mum has one that she is hellbent on getting tidied up, but wanting to suss out the approximate costs. I realise the fabric choice will be a big factor in the cost, but how many metres of fabric is on one of those chairs as an extra question? How many hours work to do something like this? Many thanks,

carter19, Jan 15, 7:00am
Just looked at www.twobrokenwives.com. Say s seven yards and goes on to how to do it

razell, Jan 15, 9:14am
I asked an upholsterer how much they would charge to recover a lazy - boy a couple of years ago and it would have been cheaper to buy a new one.

coralsnake, Jan 15, 1:13pm
Try the official Lazy=Boy repairers in Hornby.
Southern Comfort, Unit 5, 193 Waterloo Rd [opp Hornby High School @ cnr Smarts Rd.
Phone :03-982 3300

I took a LB in to have springs replaced and did query about recovering. At the time I felt it would be easier to buy a new one than recover.

buzz123, Jan 15, 6:22pm
hi - thanks for these comments - my Mum was given a guesstimate of $800 which she thought was very high. I know there are lots of "parts" to the chair to be recovered, but was wanting to get some idea of whether this was even worth considering. Might be a new chair as you say, Cheers,

captaingraham, Jan 15, 7:05pm
It will be cheaper to buy new.

karrie3, Jan 15, 8:25pm
You could save on the fabric cost by buying your own and having a local upholsterer doing the work. 7 yards seems a lot, even for one of the giant chairs, unless there's a nap or large pattern to match
I've seen plenty of commercial suppliers on here selling 5+ m of upholstery fabric for under $100, but have no idea of the labour costs
Even so, it must be cheaper to recover, if the mechanism is in good order. Lazyboys are up to $1500 + new

coralsnake, Mar 29, 12:05pm
Allow at least 5 yds of very wide fabric for starters, more if fabric is narrow.

When I had the springs on my chair replaced [the springs were free but as I didn't have time to get them done before I left the States there was a $50 fee plus they redid another part they found was coming apart - money well worth it].

I asked at the time and was informed around $500 to recover plus cost of fabric.

I wouldn't buy 'cheap' fabric as I did this with another chair and it did not stand up to any wear.