Materials to insulate a generator?

stuffed, Apr 15, 4:13am
Have got ourselves a generator for those very occasional power outages and my sparky is going to hardware it into the switchboard. Looking at putting it in a sheltered concrete wall porch area enclosed on 3 sides.
Any suggestions on materials to line the walls with (only about the size of the generator 600 x 500) to insulate it from frosts and to minimise noise. The exhaust will be extended outside.
Thanks

biddy6, Apr 15, 5:16am
Expol or batts

aj.2., Apr 15, 5:47am
Get a old truck tyre, and mount a board on that, then make a cover that fits over the Generator, and tyre, just line the cover with a double layer of Batts.
The exhaust noise is nothing you can really do any thing about short of using a water tank to muffle the noise.
Easy to set up, but not really worth the trouble for the limited time you are likely to run the unit.

deanna14, Apr 15, 6:58am
We have had our outside plug put in, that goes to the mains and its right outside our bedroom window, but figure it will be off at night anyway. Never thought about bothering with weather or sound proofing.

tweake, Apr 15, 7:08am
will insulation do anything?
you will need air flow through it so it doesn't overheat when its running.

gammelvind, Apr 15, 9:17am

stuffed, Apr 15, 7:40pm
Thanks - that looks great.

mrfxit, Apr 15, 8:31pm
1m x 1.3m sheet at $183 each + shipping

Ouch

deanna14, Apr 15, 11:30pm
When I read this thread to my husband we both concurred about this too.

Or are we talking a large dog kennel affair I wonder?

tweake, Apr 16, 8:02am
dog kennel. thats a good idea.
all thats needed is something to keep it dry.

skin1235, Apr 16, 8:05am
it will need sound deadening too, basically something that the sound waves will either not pass through or become broken up on the way through
a dog kennel will act as a huge kettle drum and produce more noise than the actual machine does

skin1235, Feb 3, 1:19am
your idea of a concrete block? surround is fine, make sure the machine is mounted on 2 or 3 rubber pads that it cannot slip off, line the walls and roof with sound treating materials
Batts are not that great for sound, you need something a little denser, rubber strips loosely attached to the walls and roof would be better, even a couple of layers of something like Butec rubber roof is better still, thin and light and absorbs sound like you wouldn't believe