Have i killed it !

seat1, Jan 19, 2:43am
Want to shift a laurel tree so have dug around it so can be moved in a week or two but the leaves have all gone floppy any ideas to help keep it from dying .

mrfxit, Jan 19, 3:02am
It will sulk by going naked anyway you do the job.
Shift it & make sure you prep & fert the new hole properly.
Don't allow fert to get to touch the roots, you need to cover the fert well.
There are proper fert pellets for that job

seat1, Jan 19, 3:25am
What about root blast or slow release would that be okay?

maclad, Jan 19, 4:06am
Wrong time of year especially when it is this dry. i think you will be lucky to win, however if you prune it hard, and I mean hard, back, keep up the water, at this stage any fertilizer is not warranted, it may survive.

gbking, Jan 19, 4:08am
probably the worst time of year to shift an evergreen tree. You need to reduce the amount of transpiration, (water lost thru the foliage) cos you have cut off many roots and the tree can't soak up enuff water. Reduce the amount of foliage by cutting the tree back by 1 third to 1 half and use a product like Wilt Proof to further reduce the transpiration, Good luck, you will need it

seat1, Jan 19, 10:53pm
Okay will give a trim before or after moving?
What if I put down some crystal rain to keep it a bit damper?

lythande1, Jan 20, 12:37am
It is pretty hard to kill a tree.
I moved a grape vine last summer. Couldn't dig down far enough so cut it's main root off.
Husband said it was dead after it dropped it's leaves.

Come June last year it was sprouting.
Now. it's back to normal.

breness, Jan 20, 2:20am
I would suggest just in case that anything you cut off it you make cuttings with and try and grow. Dip in honey and pop in a cool moist area of the garden. You will be sure to get a few take

annies3, Jan 20, 2:22am
Very hard to shift a tree, grape vine is just that a vine, and you were lucky.

Cut back hard now and try to get those leaves hydrated again give plenty of water now before you shift it, you might get lucky as others have said

seat1, Mar 26, 5:04pm
Thank you will do all of the above its about 4yrs old so not very big as I have been making it into a topiary.