Bait for wasps

thea4, Apr 4, 12:44am
there is a wasp nest under the house, I have used petrol pored into the nest so the fumes kill them in the open but do not want to use that in this situation, wondering if derris dust sprinkle at the opening would do the trick or if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know.

ralphdog1, Apr 4, 12:51am
Carbaryl powder

r.g.nixon, Apr 4, 1:09am
A few days ago I saw a method that involved a vacuum cleaner plus something else. Can't find it, but there are quite a few, such as www.instructables.com/id/Removing-a-Wasp-Nest - Got acetone?

tweake, Apr 4, 1:25am
carbaryl powder. if possible blow it in.
its also found in garden insect poison under various brand names.

mechnificent, Apr 4, 1:53am
Put a bit of poison on a meat scrap and leave it where they will find it. It isn't attractive to bees so they won't get poisoned.

hulloitsme, Apr 5, 10:34pm
Cat flea powder. works like a charm! I have sprinkled it liberally on and around an outdoor wasp nest. I used a brand called "flea-di".
CAUTION. This needs to be done late at night while the wasps are asleep and inactive.

skin1235, Apr 5, 11:09pm
a slice of dog roll on a saucer with a bead of carbryl power around it tucked under the side of the house (safe from dogs and cats, even if you have to put it in an old bird cage to ensure dogs and cats don't get to it)
the carbryl gets carried back to the nest and the carrier will eventually die

wasps eat any dead wasps in their nest - (Bees carry all dead out of the hive and dump them at the door step )
and the ones eating them die too if they died from carbryl poisoning
doesn't take many hours and the entire nest is dead
the wasp visiting your bait will have a good feed, walking through the powder to get to the food, then he will carry a piece of that food and powder back to the hive - that piece alone will kill several more wasps, which will be eaten etc etc etc
carbryl is perfect for this, it doesn't have instant knockdown, the wasp may even survive a few trips back to the nest, and tell others where the free feed is, ie lots more carrying back to the nest, lots more dying

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 6, 12:02am
Yup. Plain old supermarket flea powder heaped around the entrance at dusk so they take it into the nest as they enter soon kills the lot without risking blowing, flammable liquids, or risk to life and limb.

And it's cheaper.

tweake, Apr 6, 2:20am
thats just pyrethrum. its ok IF they get enough in.
what you have to watch is wasps can fly straight into the nest and not walk in the powder. hence why blowing it in works better.

for those baiting, pre feeding helps a lot.
apples are meant to be very good. also keep the poison to a minimum. you want them to take it back to the nest, not die on the way back. otherwise all you will do is reduce the worker numbers not kill off the queen in the nest.

punkinthefirst, Apr 6, 7:11am
. except that when I went to buy Carbaryl the other day for just this purpose, I was told that "they" are no longer allowed to sell it. Luckily, I found a partly used container of it in the shed.
At this time of year the wasps are grabbing all the protein they can get. You don't want to bait them with sweet stuff - it attracts bees as well, and the bees need all the assistance we can give them. Wasps will take fish, dog roll, cat food. I mix the carbaryl with the bait and put it in a soft drink bottle on the roof where dogs, cats and other animals can't get at it. It doesn't take wasps long to find it.

skin1235, Apr 6, 9:34am
check out the ingredients in Kiwi Wasp Killer, or is that pyretherum now, one of the Kiwi products uses it, another one uses Diazanon - another of the harder to get bug killers

tweake, Apr 6, 9:48am
yeah one of the kiwi general insect killer is carbaryl and funny enough a lot stronger than what their wasp killer is/was.

hulloitsme, Apr 6, 10:37am
"thats just pyrethrum" No it's not. Flea-Di is Maldison 3%

cantabman1, Apr 6, 8:50pm
You buy it from your garden centre, it is an insecticide.

tweake, Feb 11, 6:10pm
google showed it was pyrethrum.
tho i have seen manufactures change their ingredients over the years. maybe you have older stuff ?