Black fences

mrsvonflik, Mar 19, 2:09am
Have been told if I paint my fences black,Plants won't be able to handle the heat and will die,Anyone out there with a black fence whose plants haven't withered and died,

thea4, Mar 19, 2:16am
Hi We have a black fence it gets all day sun and have had no plants die but would rather have one that shows off the plant colours better maybe a white or light green,we are the other side of the city to you

samanya, Mar 19, 2:38am
I have black fences, nothing has died, even with the extreme heat this summer & water restrictions. So much smarter than green or brown (imo) & as thea4 said, all plants look good against them.

mrsvonflik, Mar 19, 4:44am
Many thanks for your replies,Did you use the special black Resene paint,My fences at the moment are awful brown what is left of it not sure if it paint or stain,

kandjaja, Mar 19, 5:47am
Forget the plants. Your fence will not tolerate black paint. Especially if its a pine fence.

galex, Mar 19, 6:45am
My 30 year old black pine fence would seem to make you comment less that accurate ! If you have a rubbish fence to start with it doesn't matter what colour it is.

koru67, Mar 19, 6:53am
My now almost 30 year old pine fence was painted black by us 7 years ago (with Dulux Timbacryl, colour Ebony). It still looks as good today as the day we painted it. I say go for it !.

issymae, Mar 19, 8:56am
read somewhere that a black fence is a better background colour for the garden- my fences were black when I came here 3years ago and restained them again this year-

hmck, Mar 19, 6:33pm
I have black fences and nothing has happened to any plants that I can blame on it. It looks really smart too - especially when the white Christmas Lilies flower against it.

lythande1, Mar 19, 7:26pm
LOL! I have black fences all round.
Lemon tree, passionfruit vine, flower vine, bay tree, rosemary hedge, violas, pinks, pongas, climbing rose, carpet rose, alyssum , oregano, marjoram, thyme, all growing along them are thriving and happy.
And we're in Auckland. temps been up to 31 degrees.

I used the cheap stuff at Mitre10, the large bucket it was $40? I think. it is a stain really, rather than proper paint, did 2 coats and it covered very well. It can't really be used over actual paint though, over previous stain, yes, or bare wood, ye.

kaddiew, Mar 19, 9:40pm
I've had charcoal coloured fences in several peoperties over the years, and none of the plants noticed the colour! Plus as others have said, it's the perfect backdrop for them.

smoocher, Mar 19, 9:42pm
I have black fences at the beach house. It hasnt affected the plants and trees I have planted and makes a great background for plants and trees. The lime green trees and white lilies look really attractive with the black behind them.

maclad, Mar 20, 3:12am
My plants are all fine with my black fences, right round the property and the plants look great with that background.

thejewellerybox, Mar 20, 4:24am
Plants look fantastic against black fences, go for it!

kandjaja, Mar 1, 1:15pm
30 years. about the number of years I've been a builder. yep, what would I know.