One for the gasfitters

supernova2, Nov 29, 7:22am
We have a Rinnai Timber Flame freestanding gas fire which we dont use.Its presently a mains gas unit.Daughter is interested in it but would need it converted to LPG.Anyone know if that can be done and at what cost!Also how long would a 45Kg bottle be likely to last.Any help addvice etc appreciated.ta

daryl14, Nov 29, 6:36pm
Yes, I had an inbuilt Rinnai timberflame converted to mains gas, Rinnai just sent out a new jet kit.

I have the LPG kit in my garage I think. Can't remember cost. But all up it was half the price of a new install including shipping the fire from CHch, installation, certification and wiring.

romi11, Nov 29, 10:47pm
45kg bottles would last about a week - maybe 2 if you are frugal

daryl14, Nov 30, 12:04am
You can see the LPG parts on these diagrams and parts lists. http://rinnai.co.nz/upload/files/productfile/timberflame_radius_etr_exploded_diagrams_&_spares_07-12.pdf

If you would llike me to list mine, get in touch.

mrfxit, Nov 30, 12:54am
REALLY .Mmmmm maybe if it was on HIGH setting & running 24/7

mrfxit, Nov 30, 1:03am
Ask the current supply company for a copy of the last 6 months usage bills.
THAT will give you her monthly average usage in Gas VOLUME, convert /divide that to 45kg bottle size & work it out per month x number of bottles

It will be higher cost to buy her own NEW bottles to start with but the certs last for 10 years, in the long term, it WILL work out a lot cheaper then renting.

Pro's & cons"

Pro>>>
Supply = convenient
Con>>
Expensive
Line/supply charges while connected regardless of using or not.

Bottle = owner =
Cheaper
Independent
Pay for ONLY what you use
Cons =
when you run out, YOU have to organize a refill & YOU have to have the payment up front
NO line/supply charges . ever

mrfxit, Nov 30, 1:05am
If going the bottle way, make sure your insurance company knows & add teh cost of replacement bottles to the policy.
You/she will need 2 bottles/ use 1 at a time.

supernova2, Nov 30, 6:02am
Thanks guys - ours is the manual version and not an ETR.I'll check the serial numbers and find out if the parts required are the same.The mains gas bills wont help much as we also had a gas hot water cylinder but I sort of thought a bottle a week would be about right.Will post again later once I know more.Cheers.

daryl14, Nov 27, 7:00pm
ETR stands for electronic timer and Remote.

The burners and jets should be the same. But double check it.