Waterblasters

Page 1 / 2
skin1235, Dec 31, 7:29pm
it may not be the external switch that is stuffed, most have a pressure cutoff that activates that not so simple double pole shuttle switch, and the pressure mechanisms often seize up, especially with longer storage times between uses

replacing the double pole switch is the easy part, getting the pressure unit to un freeze and work reliably again, or finding a new replacement for it ( and they changed shape etc on just about every model, like the pump heads do) is the hard bit

treecave, Jan 1, 5:44pm
and switch would need to be water proof or be able to have the plastic cover off the old switch fitted to it. I had the problems you mentioned skins on my karcher but not with the replacement nilfisk. never had to touch it (touchwood). in my opinion karcher are overpriced, overated and to expensive to repair unless its top of the line models

ferrit47, Jan 7, 9:18pm
Just dont go to Mega Mitre 10. Their Service & knowledge is terrible. I wont go there.

rojill, Jan 8, 5:35am
Karchers are garbage, should never be sold as their internals are plastic based and unable to be serviced other than replaced in toto. Best to buy a pressure washer with metal and or ceramic cylinders and pistons that can be replaced. Much cheaper in the long run than buying cheap stuff.

salniamh, Jan 8, 5:42am
Had one for a couple of years - still going well

rojill, Jan 8, 5:43am
To ensure the longest life possible , the water supply to the washer should have a 1 micron water filter in the line to remove sludge and fine particles that will otherwise destroy the pump.

gpma, Dec 28, 6:13pm
Has anyone got an opinion on a Briggs & Stratton 2320 Electric Water Blaster , looking at buying one. Had a terrible run with our 3 year old Karcher 6.5 and going to chuck it

slimdog, Dec 28, 6:29pm
What was wrong with the Karcher? I thought they ere OK

gpma, Dec 28, 6:34pm
Leaked, lost pressure after using 3 times, we returned it once to mitre10, they got it repaired under warranty, but never seemed to go well after repair. Decided to give up on it , I think we got a dud.

pleco, Dec 28, 7:32pm

golfdiver, Dec 28, 8:02pm
Depends on what you want it for? I have a decent sized commercial one and struggle with the pathetic high pressure hose type ones at the likes of Bunnings. The litres per minute are every bit as important as the pressure and the electric versions just don't cut the mustard so to speak .

snork28, Dec 28, 8:18pm
i had karchers and problems with them, then nilfisk which were next to useless, then the briggs and stratton 2320 which has been great so far about 2 years, powerfull, light ,and makes a brilliant job on house concrete etc, and they dont cost the earth. i got mine from bunnings.

biscuitd, Dec 29, 12:03am
I once had the pleasure of borrowing a friend's WB. It was a rather large contraption, blue coloured and rather grunty. several different attachments. I think about 5 years ago they cost in the region of $800. so worth it. cleaned up the house beautifully!

Just not sure what brand it was. Maybe someone more knowledgeable might know?

lythande1, Dec 29, 1:28am
We have had our Karcher for 7 years now. Gr4eat machine.

Any waterblaster: Don't drag it around by the hose.
Don't leave it on (tap), turn off at tap as soon as not using it.

fungles, Dec 29, 3:31am
I repair karcher pressure washers. Their main problem is cracked pump housings and valve bodies. these are made from plastic. They are built to a price, here read they are cheap consumables. Other countries pay very low prices for these, they are almost mandatory in Europe to prevent high water useage, consequently their purchase price reflects the throw away nature of the device. Here, we pay a premium, and expect quality and longevity, despite the machine being the same poor quality. Karcher could not believe i would bother repairing these, and initially refused to import the spares.

elect70, Dec 29, 4:01am
I bought a chinese cheapie Rockwell from Super cheap $ 80 still going strong after 5 years miracle cleans the 4x4 drive way roof & gutters regulary . Cant believe it

golfdiver, Dec 29, 4:39am
Do you do any work on General/Interpump gear?

ang_ck, Dec 29, 5:46am
fungles,

so give us some tips on which waster blaster to buy?

slimdog, Dec 29, 6:58am
Yes please if you don't mind fungles.

fungles, Dec 29, 8:20am
You have little choice if wanting electric, they are all similar in poor construction. The petrol powered units have pumps of metal construction with ceramic pistons and stainless steel valves. These all appear to be of Chinese origin and are very good value for money, will last many years if not run dry of either oil in the drive housing or water. Always have water running into the pump unit before starting. Petrol powered units are slightly less convenient to use around the home, but will last a very long time. . similar to a lawn mower in complexity and use. They have better long term performance, and the pressure can be regulated by adjusting engine speed. This video is one of many showing these models,,,,, they are all similar, if not identical. Incidentally, harbor freight seems to be a Warehouse/Kmart type American equivalent. The PWs here on TM are also identical.
Here is the Vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQCqY1aTmI8

fungles, Dec 29, 8:31am
I attempt to repair anything that arrives at my door. Its pretty much down to parts availablity these days, and economics. I am way down south, so of little use to you.

golfdiver, Dec 29, 8:55am
Haha, nah mine is going fine, I was just wondering if you saw them often. It was the best brand available when I built it. Ran it with a gearbox and a 13hp Honda. It was assembled in 1994 and still starts first pull. 20 litres a minute and 3000 psi

ang_ck, Dec 29, 10:00pm
i have an old ryobi one that last me for ages. The lances are made of brass. However, the on/off switch went kaput. I took it to the shop to get it fixed but they say they cannot find any spare parts for it. It is still in my garage.

budgel, Dec 31, 8:19am
I have a smaller petrol engined one bought years ago from Placemakers for around $300. Repco sell a similar one still around that price.
It has worked well and its portability is great, no cords to worry about. Recommended!

slimdog, Dec 31, 8:23am
If its just a two wire open/closed tape switch someone should be able to put on an after market one. Probly under $5 from Jaycar.