Adding another storey.$$$?

glowenz, Apr 10, 6:06am
Anyone added an extra storey to their house? We are thinking of doing it to add a couple of small bedrooms. what kind of money are we looking at roughly?

stevo2, Apr 10, 6:36am
$96500

firefly001, Apr 10, 6:45am
That'll just be the engineers bill.

kaylin, Apr 10, 9:02am
$2K per square metre. Don't forget you will need resource consent, draughtsmen, builders consent, maybe retaining or soil testing. I wanted to go up but was informed that structurally it would have been VERY expensive with them curtin into my rimu floor to ensure the walls nd piles were strong enough to hold it up.
You also need to consider consent from neighbours incase of shadowing. With the new earthquake law related insurance nd consent thingee, it is far FAR dearer than it was before.

You'll need to contact a draughtsman s I said to draw up plans. Then see how much the will cost. My draughtsman was $2K, and tht is merely for a double garage with room underneath.

Edited to add - yep, forgot that other consent. Engines report too. And excuse the typos. Tablet hs a sticky 'a' so does predicted text sometimes.

masturbidder, Apr 10, 9:30am
You will probably need resource consent.
When you see the cost, delays, and BS involved you will understand why the RMA needs reform.

survivalkiwi, Apr 11, 7:31pm
You would only need resorse consent if you are breaking out of the recession planes or breaking other local requirement's. I have been building for 30 years and the only time I have been involved with resourse consent is when there has been a change of use.
Personally I would never consider building up. Sell your house and buy a bigger one.
Also you can guarantee that as soon as the roof comes off you will get the worst rain your town has had in years. And no matter how good your tarps are and how well your builder puts them on water will a way find a way in.

mm12345, Apr 11, 9:58pm
Dead right. It's completely ridiculous that anybody buying a house in a residential area should have the right to object if someone wants to build a fish-processing plant, a 5 story high 24 hour brothel, or a half-way house for recidivist sex-offenders, right next door.
Those who want radical reform often puke out the tired old one liner "you can't stop progress". If one man's "progress" is creating many other's worst nightmare, then there's a problem.
Be careful what you wish for.

flagheaven, Apr 11, 10:34pm
and it will cost prolly DOUBLE the $2000 per square mitre you were told above .

landylass, Apr 12, 6:17am
Neighbours we had years ago did this because they reckoned it was cheaper to go up than out. Thankfully we were only renting and moved out not long after, as our kitchen diner was so dark we needed the lights on in the daytime. It was on and off the market several times before it finally sold, when they came to sell.

cagivachick1, Apr 14, 8:17am
we built 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs 20 years ago cost 25k

echoriath, Feb 5, 8:19am
Yeah, about a hundred grand is right at a fairly wild guess.

It would help to know what type of house, what type of cladding you want to put on the new bit, what sort of roof, what sort of ground, how level the site is, how accessible the site is, if you are adding a bathroom.