Gutters -- How much fall.

kenw1, Apr 5, 9:32pm
Several of our gutters have fall the wrong way, one the water is 25 - 30mm deep at the blank end before it reaches the outlet 4 metres away.

They have been like that since the house was built, always trust a RMB.

How much fall should they have ? or how much fall can they have? I really want to get the water moving away towards the downpipe, when we have those tropical storms come across the North I have seen the gutters full to overflowing and want to try and prevent that.

They are the standard formed on site metal gutters. The thought had crossed my mind to change them to larger profile plastic ones.

Thanks

budgel, Apr 5, 9:38pm
If you are going to install plastic guttering, Marley's rule of thumb was to take the length of run in metres, halve it, and call it millimeters. There are installation guides available free from builders merchants such as Placemakers etc.
Steel spouting has a lot more fall because no water is meant to be left sitting in it.

biddy6, Apr 5, 9:40pm
An alternative solution could be to put in another down pipe at the other end. This can save the removal of the gutter, and repositioning all of the brackets etc, but you then need to be able to connect the new downpipe to your stormwater pipe.

kenw1, Apr 5, 9:55pm
This idea had crossed my mind, but then we have to mess about and connect them into the under house main that feeds our tank.

Bigger gutters would also make it easier for me to clean them out.

aredwood, Apr 6, 12:07pm
Only problem is that nice straight gutters show up wonky barge boards. If you are going to put up marley guttering. Only use their glue. And don't skimp on the number of brackets required. Sounds obvious but so many don't and then they complain when it sags and leaks. And blame the product.

golfdiver, Apr 6, 7:40pm
This! No more than 400mm gaps between brackets. You don't need much fall at all.The Council often specify ridiculous amounts and if you follow it you have a massive gap at one end. Just enough to get the water flowing and no more.

bashfulbro, Feb 10, 9:03pm