Which way to go?

piquant, Nov 28, 7:37am
OK. Had a very successful "dip the toe in" day with the small range of plants I had grown which has basically buoyed me on to grow more. The range isn't very great at this stage but I wanted to run by interested parties, how they think I might best market them. I could list them on here singly, but that can be time consuming and an expensive way to go, especially when the chances are folk will buy more than 1 in order to make the freight work a bit better for them. What do you think of the idea of putting up the list of plants (they are all the same price) and doing say, a 5 pack and people can choose which they want or if they want 5 the same! I'm certainly not at the website stage yet (and may not be for a while) so any thoughts on what you think would or might be helpful would be gratefully received.

maclad, Nov 28, 8:08am
I like the sound of that. You are doing perennials I think you said!
You are well known hereso quess there would be a market on TM for you already tho may not be a large one yet. Gotta try before you find out how it goes.
let us know when the list goes up.

stevee6, Nov 28, 8:58am
Sounds good to me piquant. Will enjoy seeing what you have.

karakagranny, Nov 28, 9:01am
Excellent, good for you Piquant I buy most of my plants online now.

hare1, Nov 28, 9:45am
Good for you Piquant.As a collector of many plants Im always on the look out for new treasures.We are losing alot of the older plants and Im sure you will have some surprises,Postage is a problem between the north and south Island.Would you sell them bagged or barerooted!I have had some sent bare rooted wrapped in wet paper and all survived well.Just a thought.keep usposted and good luck.

piquant, Nov 28, 11:29pm
Thanks for your feedback, all. Well, I have put up a trial 3 listings - I hope you aren't too disappointed in the selection, but given my late decision to start growing again - all I can say is - it's a start! It will take me quite a while to bulk up stocks and to find again all of the lovely plants I lost when my garden got overgrownwhilst I looked after my ailing mother. Oh, well, that's life - these things take time to remedy.

kiwilion, Nov 29, 12:16am
A good way of doing it is how a lady in Hastings does things (a4dibbleplants). She lists all of her plants singly,hundreds of them, but sometimes 10 or 25 etc,and will ship 10 together for the same courier cost.I have purchased from her several times and always try to fill that box!- Check out one of her listings and see what I mean.
I know it takes time to do separate listings, but I think you get more interest and its easy enough to set them up in the My products area.
And if you have more than 1 of a plant, you can easily use the Multiple Listing style, so no more work, all is automatic and they are just relisted when one is sold.
Also, I do think its important to put shipping costs in listings so buyers know what it will be up front and saves them having to ask you and saves you time having to answer.And then they can buy now immediately.

gilligee, Nov 29, 12:23am
As a nursery browser of old I would prefer singles.

piquant, Nov 29, 12:32am
Kiwilion. Yes, I've had a look but those are 5 and 7cm pots. That's growing on lines. Nothing wrong with that but we are talking about quite differing grades here. I take your point about the freight - but I do state that I'm finding out today. It will be on there later.
And gilligee - can do singles if you would prefer.

kateley, Nov 29, 12:47am
I think you've done a great job with your listings - your descriptions make me want to buy them all!The plants all look lovely and healthy too.
If you have any photos of them in flower it would be even better if you could add an insert into the photos you've got now (they're lovely clear photos)

piquant, Nov 29, 1:02am
Yes, thanks. kateley. I was waiting for the flowers as I don't like to use others' photos - only my own. But they are mostly not out yet - but budding! It's a bit of a dilemma - the plants would rather be in the ground to start flowering but potential customers would like to see what the flowers look like. Once I have my photographic library set up, I fully intend to do this (when I too, find out how to!) So, as things come out, I will take pics of the flowers. In the meantime, I'm afraid it's probably a google job. Sorry.
I've just had my hand slapped by TM so maybe I had better not comment any further with regard to anything to do with this subject. But thank you all for your helpful comments - that was really all I was wanting - not to promote my own listings.

kiwilion, Nov 29, 1:02am
Yes I agree, the listings are lovely I must say.
The other thing about you choose listings, from a seller's point of view, is that you wont know what the buyer wants until they contact you.So relisting because of stock quantities, etc, can be held up.

And all the best with your venture.The more lovely plants on TM the better!

antoniab, Nov 29, 1:03am
I can get wholesale plants in 1.5L pots from Colorworx for $3.50 so it is a bit expensive for me. Can understand the price difference though as they are a commercial grower and you need to sell at a price to make it finacially viable for you :)

stevee6, Nov 29, 2:32am
Love them and see five I would want. Budget's too tight before Christmas dangit!

rodeoraz, Nov 29, 2:50am
I think TM are being a bit rough! I suppose they can't play favourites but you are such a big contributor on these message boards and I know so many of us are appreciative.

Good luck with your venture.

The only tip from me is to right-align the text on your photos as it is being covered up by your username in places :)

koru67, Nov 29, 2:53am
love your descriptions . very enticing

antoniab, Nov 29, 3:12am
Also Q - I see you are selling a PVR variety of agapathus, may want to check the 'laws' around commercially selling a plant that has a PVR on it (assuming that it was not you that was granted the PVR, if so forget everything I said lol)

piquant, Nov 29, 4:13am
antoniab. You are obviously not au fait with the rules surrounding PVR's. Those gol's were purchased by me from the nursery that does hold the PVR. One pays royalty to the propagator for the gol and grows on accordingly. I have not propagated my own stock in this case. I think you will find that I am very careful around such things. Re your comment about cost - I too deal with said nursery in my plant broking capacity - and I can advise you that basic perennials in 1.3L pots are considerably more than you state. Specific ones are even more. Then there is GST on top. That may have been the case when you worked for them but lots of things have changed and costs of absolutely everything have risen. I am sure you know that.

piquant, Nov 29, 5:10am
Sorry, antoniab - on re-reading the above I realise it sounds less than polite. I realise that you were only pointing it out and I apologise if my response sounded rude.

antoniab, Nov 29, 5:34am
No problem, you are right I do not know the 'ins and outs' of PVR's and didnt know if you did either, hence why I said it may be something to check out :)
FYI those are Colourworx's current wholesale prices as of the start of this year although like you say, me having working for them enables me to buy them at wholesale price, Joe Blogs cannot, so I count myself very lucky! and yes 'special' plants that they get tissue culture in from Australia for etc are around $4.50-$6.75 wholesale.
Sounds like they may have put their prices up considerably then since selling up to the new owners!

piquant, Nov 25, 4:09pm
You're more on track with the latter prices but I really don't think this should be discussed on here. But from my lists they have not been that low for a number of years.