'Standard dimensions' for MDF

jetski34, Apr 6, 9:17pm
Hi

I just purchased some 1200x600 MDF to complete a shelving unit. Got it home to discovered it's actually 1220x600 :( I have no saw, so I was very specific with all the timber I purchased for the build.

The shelves should actually be 2400 long, so I was going to use two panels. If I get a trailer and purchase 2400x600, will it still be too long (ie a 'generous' 2400, maybe 2440?)? I can't find the info online for Bunnings or Mitre 10 and it's a long trip back to town!

I was so proud of myself for putting together the framework without dad's assistance and want to finish the project without dad saving the day.

johotech, Apr 6, 9:31pm
Standard sheet size is 2440x1220.
Just buy yourself a $10 handsaw. Or you can buy an electric saw under $100 which will do the job much better.
Once you master this project, who knows what you might want to build!

hammerman1, Apr 6, 9:31pm
Buy a heap saw. sheeeesh

jetski34, Apr 6, 9:34pm
Bother. If I'd known that I would have made my framing longer!

I don't think I could cut straight enough. Dad has a giant table saw, may just have to resort to that.

Thanks for the info :) (why is it advertised / industry standard at 2400 if it's actually longer?)

johotech, Apr 6, 9:37pm
Because the edges are usually cut off or left as waste when using a CNC. Plus, the extra size allows standard widths (300, 400 etc) to be cut out of a sheet with the saw blade thickness taken into account.

To cut straight using a skill saw, clamp a straight edge or piece of timber/sheet to use as a guide.

tezw1, Apr 6, 9:49pm
Hang over from the days of imperial measurements - 8 foot x 4 foot sheets

zak410, Apr 6, 10:33pm
I think some manufacturers of MDF make 2400x1200 also.

http://www.wbshenderson.co.nz/product-range/panel-products/

hammer23, Apr 6, 10:51pm
Put on your blonde wig,go back to Bunnings with the board and ask the nice man to cut the sheets to 2400.They have the flash saw and it is 50/50 whether they will help you.

spirogryo, Apr 6, 11:06pm
I can fully understand your dissapointment.The safest way to build almost anything,is to get the material first.And remember,its in solving the problem that builds our experience,and the confidence to carry on and become quite GOOD.

jetski34, Apr 7, 1:35am
I swapped it for a big piece (2440) and cut a beautiful straight edge with my brother's electric saw (hand held circular). I'm doubly impressed with myself because A) I made 3 perfect to the eye straight cuts, each 600 long and B) I'm a lefty and did it with a right handed saw (it was a trigger + safety button job). And the man at Bunnings was impressed with my trailer backing :D So was I but I just shrugged it off like I do it all the time!

comadi, Apr 7, 9:00am
The standard full sheets are 2440 x 1220 to allow for edge damage, as mdf is soft and susceptible to this, unlike plywood which is usually 2400 x 1200.

budgel, Feb 10, 4:01pm
Another reason for it being oversize is that it allows for several saw kerfs and you still get a standard size of 300, 600 etc. You cant get four 300 pieces out of a 1200 sheet!