Anyone recognize this walnut species?

lalacbr, Jan 18, 5:34am
Thanks heaps Mottley

lalacbr, Jan 14, 1:17pm
Interested to know if anyone can tell me what type of walnuts these are? :) http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/357557980.jpg

cantabman1, Jan 14, 6:23pm
They are not walnuts, but look like a pine of some kind.

gbking, Jan 14, 7:02pm
a close up of the foliage, and nuts if present would help, but my guess would be Juglans nigra

lalacbr, Jan 14, 7:40pm
Definitely walnuts cantabman - I will get a close up when I get there next gbking - thanks!

lalacbr, Jan 14, 7:41pm
I just googled it, and I think you're on to it??

ebygum1, Jan 14, 8:36pm
I can,t tell from that picture,but there were a lot of Black Walnut planted in the 80/90's. There was a nursery promoting then as a tree for milling and firewood at the time.

anne1955, Jan 14, 9:12pm
If it's a walnut I'd love to buy some green ones, at the stage where one can poke a needle through them before they ripen I want to try pickling them and can't find any locally sadly to buy. Will watch post and if it is and there's walnuts maybe you could set up an auction for some?

harrislucinda, Jan 14, 9:56pm
That leaf does,nt look like a walnut type leaf as you sure a walnut

maclad, Jan 15, 3:17am
Juglans nigra foliage is different to papershell walnuts

spiritofgonzo, Jan 15, 6:50am
Leaf looks just like j. nigra . doesn't mean it is but it certainly looks like it

mottly, Jan 15, 6:53am
Yep, black walnuts, we had our whole farm covered in them. The nuts themselves are pretty crap, but the wood is amazing for furniture, or firewood

les6, Jan 15, 8:22am
too late for this year now?you have to pick them before xmas.

lalacbr, Jan 17, 9:00am
ebygum - yes, you're on to it! Mottly, I have been researching and the nuts sound delicious but extremely hard to crack. The property itself is covered in trees of all types so I suspect they were planted for wood. Cheers!

mottly, Mar 29, 10:59am
Yes, the shells are super thick, and the nut inside is quite small. My pig used to eat them like marshmallows! It is stunning timber though, and pretty trees during the summer months. Collect he nuts off the ground, they're fine, rats don't tend to eat them because they're too hard to get into