These dates.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 4:07am
The packet says "Premium Emirates Dates' and they're yummy. Free from preservatives, unpitted, washed and packed under strict hygiene conditions.

But will the 'nut' inside germinate do you think? Shall I try?

johotech, Jan 18, 4:55am
Don't know if the seeds will germinate, but they take 4-10 years before they bare fruit, and you need a male and female tree, and they don't tolerate rain or humidity - so Auckland would be out of the question.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 5:34am
Most fruit trees take at least that long, and I'll bet after munching through this pack, statistically I'm bound to have a few of each. The challenge'd be finding somewhere to let them get big enough to tell the diff, lol.

The humidity thing might be a bummer though, here in Aucks.

coralsnake, Jan 18, 6:03am
Date milkshakes made with fresh dates picked within minutes from the tree - yummy.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 6:04am
Scones. OMG. With butter.

Nah, too hot even for baked food fantasies!

coralsnake, Jan 18, 6:37am
If you Google 'growing dates' there is plenty of advice.

I have thriving avocado trees now growing from pips planted in potting mix.

Niece started what she said was an orange tree from a pip when we were back in Texas. We nursed it along then it just took off. Sadly it wasn't an orange tree but grapefruit which we didn't eat. Naturally people wanted the fruit - provided we picked them of course [large prickles on tree]. Was a case of it you want/you pick.

coralsnake, Jan 18, 6:42am
This is an interesting link w/photos.
When we used to do our long distance trips from California to Texas several times a year, we would always stop at Dateland in Arizona for breakfast.

http://www.dateland.com/how-are-dates-grown/

There is reference to they don't like rain or humidity.

zak410, Jan 18, 6:44am
I wonder if you have to break the hard shell, like you do for apricot type fruit. then keep them wet, someone here will know.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 9:16pm
Phoenix palm seeds are very similar and they strike really easily given a bit of soil and damp, so I don't think the outer shell would be an issue, so I think I'll try it for the adventure of it. I currently have a number of 'opportunity' fruiting saplings underway to be trained as bonsai, so I'm thinking a potted date palm grove'd add to that collection rather nicely, lol.

Mad gardeners can never resist a wee challenge!

harrislucinda, Jan 18, 9:22pm
these would have been imported so been treated at the border

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 28, 4:45pm
I suspect so, but would it be heat treatment? The container was plastic and sealed at source, so I can't help but wonder if the seed remains viable.