Too much nitrogen?

niffer13, Jan 9, 8:13am
Well I have picked 3 beans today from the plants that have been affected.
I did put in some radish to see if they just grew top. Well I have had normal radish so who knows what the problem was.

stellabellatm, Jan 11, 7:06am
Have you added any manure?

niffer13, Oct 31, 10:36pm
We put all our compost on a small garden & I plated some peas & the grew deformed but sdame seeds in a different part grow ok. We thought maybe it is too high in nitrogen. Now beans I planted look deformed however courgettes look ok.
What could I do to re balance the soil?

chelseabird, Oct 31, 11:19pm
It will probably pay you to do a soil test first and work from there.

maclad, Nov 1, 12:12am
Is it possible that lawn clippings sprayed with broadleaf weedkiller have been put into the compost. This is quite a typical result tho I would expect courgettes to be affected too. Sprayed lawn clippings must not be composted for 6 months.

niffer13, Nov 1, 3:57am
Lawn hasn't been sprayed for broadleaf.

mark_g, Nov 1, 6:42am
Beans get a similar (or same?) virus as tomato and potato. Leaves grow shrunken and curled, not rolled, but curled inwards like a shrunken claw hand. Growth is purple and stems are thick and don't grow straight. Pumpkin also get it.

If this is what you have, it will pass in a few weeks or a month or so. Although affected plants recover, they will never be as big or productive as they would be if not affected by this problem, since they lose a critical month or two of growth in spring/early summer.

niffer13, Nov 1, 6:54am
Should I just pull out the beans & replant. Or plant the beans in a different spot?

niffer13, Nov 1, 7:35pm
I have read that if I put saw dust on the ground that will leach out the nitrogen if its too much nitrogen. Maybe I could spray if it is a virus. IDEAS?

bluefrog2, Mar 30, 1:03pm
Pull up the plants, unless you're curious to see how the grow, and avoid planting peas and beans on that spot completely. I find there will be parts of the garden where beans and peas do well, and some parts where they don't. This could be due to virus, wind, wrong soil ph, not enough sun, damp & mildew, etc.