Push-mowers

bergkamp, May 5, 8:01am
so I have a nice powerful motor mower but we have just brought a new house and it has 3 smallish areas to mow. i am thinking a hand mower will be quicker and easier because of access /manuverability (sp)

I have looked at new ones in bunnings but they look like they have too many plastic parts and I was thinking of buying an old one from here that has been reconditioned

opinions please ?

freesia, May 5, 8:09am
think that's a great idea. Just make sure you get the blades well sharpened and that it comes with a little catcher. Keep it clean and well lubed. There are still a fair few around in second hand shops, Websites etc.

groovie1, May 5, 8:17am
Yes go old model. I recently picked up a good second hand McCullough push mower for our front lawn. Once it was sharpened it was away.

tweake, May 5, 8:17am
how big is your smallish aeras ?

zoopa, May 5, 9:11am
Stephen Daly Mowers will have what you need. A real old school shop with excellent service. Plus they stock parts for the push mowers too. I usually see recon pushies for sale there. The nice solid steel ones that wont bounce over the grass like the crappy plastic ones do. Wooden rollers too

https://plus.google.com/109422638094374951710/about?gl=nz&hl=en

nzmax, May 5, 10:53am
Before I had a motor mower, I used to mow a large lawn with a old Masport cast iron push mower. Lawn took an hour to do with a motor mower (footpath, front and back lawns) and only a little bit longer with push mower. Always loved the crimped effect the push mower left in the lawn after mowing. One suggestion would be to put an edging (bricks, concrete etc) round the edge of the lawn to run the wheel on as the edges are a pain to cut, and another suggestion is to not let the grass get too long or filled with weed stalks as push mowers wont cut those off very well. The older ornate cast iron mowers have a lot more character and that distinctive sound that the modern ones don't seem to have. Still have my push mower and still gets used on occasion, as the only lawn I have now is on the footpath, and neighbour mows it for me, while I keep the edges etc tidy.

lilyfield, May 6, 1:58am
i wet through exactly the same delibereation.
handmowers need sharpening regulalry and resetting. Something I could not do myself. . and its costly
So I bought a small featherlight electric mower new for 100 bucks, can even unbolt the blade and sharpen it myself.
Luckely already owned a long extension cord. never regretted this purchase 2 years ago

maclad, May 6, 2:51am
You cannot beat an old school push mowe,r if you can get one and ensure it is in good condition. I've used one for the last 3 years on my tiny lawn and have no regrets. Much better for the grass as well as it cuts the blades instead of tearing them as a rotary does, with the advantage of the lawn being rolled at the same time. Win, win I think.

bergkamp, May 9, 7:48am
do you guys leave the cut grass ?

maclad, May 9, 10:01pm
I pick it up mainly so less gets tracked inside but it also looks tidier

gem661, May 10, 9:34am
They are excellent for regular length grass, not good if the grass gets too long. One place we lived had small lawn areas so we used our push mower there. We had mostly elderly neighbours, and several commented on how they hadn't heard the sound of a push mower in action for a very long time.

tweake, Jan 13, 10:58am
how long is "regular cut grass" ?