Solid fuel boilers from Europe

timbo69, Mar 24, 7:58am
We are in the early stages of planning our dream home(fairly big 350-400sq/m), I was considering one of these (or something similar):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finesse-28kW-Solid-Fuel-Back-LARGE-Boiler-Wood-Stove-Heat-15-Rads-5Yr-Warranty-/281611769225

We want fireplace and like the idea of running radiators (in slab or on wall) and a wet back, home will be insulated well above current building standard.

Anyone have any experiences with these setups? There dont seem to be any retailers in NZ?

tintop, Mar 24, 9:14am
Probably because they have not been tested.

Depending on your air zone and area of the property there may be a loophole that allows 'multi fuel' heaters. But if it s a 'wood burner' it will need to comply with the NZ Standard.

http://www.mfe.govt.nz/air/home-heating-and-authorised-wood-burners/frequently-asked-questions-wood-burners#multi

martin11, Mar 24, 7:03pm
Also if you get one and install it you may find because it is not approved in NZ you will have problems getting a Consent to install it and if it causes a problem no insurance .

howgoodisit, Mar 25, 12:06am
We got one of these installed. can highly recommend!
Biggest range cooker wetbacks on the market that im aware of. after 20min of lighting it we have continuous free hot water. get a BIG cylinder!

So heats the house, the hot water. have it plumed to add radiators later and so good for cooking. really good for roasts as you can slow cook for as long as you like without worrying about using excess electricity.
Again highly recommend.

Oh and because of the mass of the unit its still hot and heating the house in the morning unlike tinny fireplaces.
http://www.wamsler.co.uk/central-heating-cookers

tsjcf, Mar 25, 4:08am
We are doing a similar size house and using a Marshall fire coupled to a 850L tank then in-slab heating.
http://www.marshallheaters.co.nz/
Fire in the garage and tank in ceiling.
Have met a few people that brought in fires from England and been very happy with the installs.

golfaholic2, Mar 25, 4:16am
You could save a bundle by going direct to Roger Best of Rangiora . official production is starting soon , but I'm sure he'd do a one off .

zoopa, Mar 25, 5:05am
FINALLY! Good to hear

golfaholic2, Mar 25, 5:19am
He has little to no interest in going thru ECan . they have proved that they are incapable of making sensible decisions .

They have authorised two burners as ULE burners to date . can they tell us which emits more harmful soot based particulate ?
Can they tell us which burner emits more PM10 ?

They are making decisions on incomplete data and this is NOT the way forward

timbo69, Mar 25, 6:42am
Who? what?

timbo69, Mar 25, 6:45am
Love it,
We will put rads in from the start, is this for wood only? how do you cook food in summer?

timbo69, Mar 25, 6:58am

golfaholic2, Mar 25, 7:26am
Roger developed a burner which is perfect for what you are looking for . be it to run on wood or coal .
Depending on the system you choose , Roger can take the thermal efficiency into the high 90% range .
As opposed to maybe 75% for the burner linked

timbo69, Mar 25, 8:30am
Im more after a boiler than a burner - I want to spread the heat through a new well insulated home with radiators. Efficiency dont matter much to me - I sell firewood so using 20 cube/p.a wouldn't bother me in the slightest

timbo69, Mar 25, 8:35am
The link i provided shows water output of 16kw and 10kw to the room, efficiency is 71%

howgoodisit, Mar 25, 9:44am
Its multifuel but i only have wood anyway.
We have this range installed between the lounge and kitchen. normal kitchen with normal oven. its good to be able to use this in winter to get the best bang for your buck on wood.

golfaholic2, Mar 25, 4:26pm
"range" , Roger will be doing all manor of systems . boilers are more simple again . but remember one thing , 20 cord in the linked burner will see you a slave to it . rather than loading a smaller burner a couple of times a day .
I know of one unit running down south which is somewhere between 75 and 100 kW's . so size wont be an issue

If you are rural , and have that much wood , then a simple 20-30 kW boiler unit will be far cheaper

timbo69, Feb 22, 4:19pm
20 cord? I said 20m and that was an exaggeration. I need to look into it but I think 20-25kw should be sufficient. I looked at dedicated boilers - they are more designed to be in the garage which is cleaner and easier to load but destroys the whole ambiance of a fireplace - which I love. we are semi-rural on about one hectare