Can a load-bearing structural beam be on an angle?

luteba, Apr 29, 12:40am
I'm planning a house remodel, and wanting to take out a load-bearing wall. I know that I will need to put a structural beam in where the wall has come out, but I'm wondering if that beam is able to be on an angle?

I ask because the room on one side has a 3.1m stud, while the room on the other side drops from 3m to 2.4m. I'd like to have the opening on that 3m to 2.4m angle, rather than a straight opening at 2.4m.

TIA

tintop, Apr 29, 12:58am
t can be made to work - but:

For a horizontal beam ,any loads are transferred to the supports vertically, and apart from wind and earthquake loadings that is all.

For a beam on a slope there will be a horizontal component, ( outwards at the lower end) that will have to be resisted as well.

An additional consideration is that the removal of the existing wall will take out earthquake and wind resistance that you already have.

It can be done - but you will need the input from a structural engineer.

luteba, Apr 29, 1:49am
Thanks, much appreciated.

So I guess the alternatives would be to either a) have a floating beam at 2.4m, with an open triangle above it; or b) put the structural beam at 3.1m and have the triangle of wall below it non- or semi-structural.

Though presumably the beam has to be bigger if it's at 3.1m, as it'll have to take all the horizontal strain for that section.

Yes, clearly a structural engineer will be required. (The width of the section of wall is 3.6m, and it's a section of wall that runs into one corner of a basic hip-roof box villa, with the angled roof in the room on the other side belonging to a bit that sticks out at the back, with a shed roof (rather than a lean-to), just in case that's relevant to any other comments.)

rak1, Apr 29, 8:14pm
The other thing with removing a wall, apart from the need to insert a beam, is that each wall contributes to the stiffness of the house. So, if you remove a wall, other walls have to be beefed up to compensate (bracing units). What that meant for us when we went through the same process, was to remove the linings on a number of walls running in the same direction and then stiffen them up with brace line.

tintop, Apr 29, 8:49pm
I cant really comment usefully from what you describe, except to say that you really need to check what it is that you want to do with a structural engineer, he/she will be able to tell you fairly quickly if what you propose is practicable, and give you an indication of the fees and costs involved.

luteba, Jan 21, 12:56pm
Fair call tintop, thanks for taking the time to read and advise (and rak1 too).