Death to Oxalis

shaz561, Jan 18, 11:35pm
Did you also know that you can eat it? I only just read about it somewhere else. I'm not game enough to try as I'm sure it was a northern hemisphere thing.
But yes I have it too. all through my vege gardens. Annoying buggers lol. I just remove as much as I can

palmetto, Jan 3, 4:50am
Has anyone used Death to Oxalis that you can buy from Mitre10. It cost about $30 for a packet. Does it work and is it worth it? Or is there something else I can use.

sailor13, Jan 3, 4:54am
I tried it Oxalis is still growing well wont buy again.

nzmax, Jan 3, 5:21am
Looks like you have to keep applying it as it basically kills off the leaves which weakens the bulb as it starves the bulbs of sunlight which is used as part of a plants food system, unfortunately the bulbs will send out new shoots which will then need to be sprayed. You need to keep doing this till the bulbs pretty much starve to death. Then next year as any little bulbs still existing that didn't shoot last year will have leaves coming up. process begins again. Oxalis is a bulb so reproduces like any other bulb. lily, tulip, gladioli etc.

Instructions say a spreader/sticker must be used in the spray mixture also. Sadly its not a spray and walk away fix.

http://www.gardenews.co.nz/oxalis.htm
This gives some other options to eradicate it.

melonhead1, Jan 3, 6:29am
Get a spray bottle and mix up some glyphosate or amitrole in it and smack it every time you see it poke up some new growth. It takes years but its the only way.

oversize, Jan 3, 7:43am
we have been digging them up every time we see them grow.
being militant about it is working as we have had a lot less showing up than before.

devine-spark, Jan 3, 8:20am
I am slowly winning by digging the bulbs out. Arduous, but it works better than the other options. I tried death to oxalis too. they seemed to ignore it.

skin1235, Jan 3, 8:29am
"death to oxalis" is actually bicarb of soda, you probably have a $3.95 pack in the pantry in a pack called baking soda

yes it does work if you apply it as directed, although it may take 3 yrs to get them all its still a lot easier than digging the entire garden through a sieve

lythande1, Jan 3, 6:28pm
Just dig them. deep - so that you get the bulbs.
Eventually you will succeed.

melonhead1, Jan 4, 7:00am
The best option for the lazy gardener would be a preemergent like simazine. Apply that, keep the ground moist and undisturbed and each time they send up a leaf it will be killed until the bulblets run out of puff.

dolphinfan, Jan 4, 7:45am
I spent my annual leave 3 years ago sifting oxalis out of one stretch of our garden. I think I did quite well as minimal amount has come through since. Good luck

angelah1, Jan 4, 8:12am
we have found weed weapon from M10 effective.

cantabman1, Jan 4, 8:28am
As some other posters have said, digging it out is the only way to permanently rid it from your garden. It is a bit like Ivy, I have had to get ride of it twice on two properties and the only way was pulling it all out, and digging out the roots.

pauldw, Mar 28, 7:57am
The baking soda advantage is that it doesn't seem to affect other plants. Giving the oxalis a good soaking in it on a hot day seems to burn off the green top.