Help Please about Derris Dust

franny8, Feb 16, 8:47pm
My late husband was a keen gardener and I am trying to continue his garden. I have lovely tomatoes but a lot of them have small green caterpillars burrowing into them which I think they are white butterfly caterpillars as I have seen a lot of them around the garden. I've dusted with derris dust over the tomatoes. I seem to recall that you cannot harvest for a certain length of time after using derris dust but there is nothing on the containers. Can anyone tell me please when it will be OK to eat them. I should add I picked all those starting to ripen before dusting so they are all quite green. Many thanks,

lythande1, Feb 17, 12:09am
Withholding period on edible crops only 1 day.

Derris dust is a natural insecticide made from the roots of the derris plant. While it can be effective in controlling pests on tomatoes, it is not typically used as a method for growing tomatoes. However, if you're interested in growing healthy, productive tomato plants, there are a few things you can do:

Choose a sunny location: Tomatoes need at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day to thrive. Choose a spot in your garden that gets plenty of sun.

Prepare the soil: Tomatoes prefer well-draining soil with plenty of organic matter. Amend your soil with compost or aged manure before planting.

Plant at the right time: Tomatoes are warm-weather crops and should be planted after the danger of frost has passed. In most areas, this means planting in late spring or early summer.

Water consistently: Tomatoes need consistent moisture to grow and produce fruit. Water deeply once or twice a week, depending on your climate and soil type.

Provide support: Most tomato varieties need support to keep their fruit off the ground and prevent damage. Use stakes, cages, or trellises to support your plants.

By following these tips, you can help your tomato plants grow strong and healthy, and produce plenty of delicious fruit. While derris dust may be effective in controlling pests, it's not typically used as a method for growing tomatoes, so it's best to stick to more traditional methods of cultivation.

franny8, Feb 17, 12:39am
Thank you I thought it was perhaps a week.

bluefrog2, Feb 17, 4:34am
I'm pretty sure white butterfly caterpillars only eat cabbages and other brassicas, not tomatoes. But the derris dust should work on any caterpillar, whatever it is.

lythande1, Feb 17, 4:41am
There are caterpillars that eat tomatoes too, not the same. but the dust will discourage them too.

franny8, Feb 17, 4:51am
Thanks folks so everyone agrees that there is only a short waiting period until it is safe to harvest? Thanks.

happychappy50, Feb 17, 5:51am
Not white butterfly as their catapillars are green,another kind & Derris will halt them

franny8, Feb 17, 8:07am
The caterpillars are green.

farmerjohn, Feb 17, 8:17am
Remember to give them a good wash before eating

coffee3, Feb 19, 5:44am
Derris Dust is not organic and it also kills the bees, pays to read these packs carefully. Sorry franny8 about your hubby it is nice to keep memories.

franny8, Feb 19, 9:41am
Oh dear, I didn't know it would kill the bees. There was very little info on the container, if I had known it was harmful to bees I wouldn't have used it.

starseeker, Feb 21, 1:33am
Derris dust IS organic according to google. It works by making the caterpillars sick. I'm sure that if you only sprinkle it on the actual fruit it will not harm bees, as they are only interested in the flowers.

However, always remember that 'organic' or 'natural' does not necessarily mean that a product is safe, as some of the worst poisons are 'natural'. After all snake venom is natural, as are many poisonous plants

dibble35, Feb 21, 2:31am
I believe derris dust used to be classed as organic - you could use it on your veg and still call them organically grown. But a few years ago they decided it is no longer 'organic' - it is natural though

dibble35, Feb 21, 2:34am
with holding period of 1 day is correct. just read the back of the packet, very toxic to aquatic life, do not inhale dust, avoid contact with the skin, may be natural but still not good for you.

..pip.., Jun 8, 9:40am
It is a day, it says it on the packet.