Codling moth

eljayv, Nov 18, 7:51pm
We have a codling moth sticky trap with pheromone lure in the apple tree and have caught a few moths over the past month (8 or 9) can someone tell me if it is okay to use the pheromone twistie ties at the same time!

wheelz, Nov 18, 9:19pm
what do the twistie ties do, besides attract the moths to it, what then! is there means for the moths to be caught! one sticky trap will protect 5 average size trees within a range of 15 metres of the trap.

eljayv, Nov 18, 9:36pm
Apparently the twistie ties work by confusing the moths as they follow the pheromone scent.They are available on TM auction534594772 and I know they are in use in orchards overseas.We have a sticky trap and have caught a about 10 over the past monthand will have to replace the lure in a few weeks and wondered if these may be as good.

deepthought1, Nov 18, 11:11pm
Just spray, mind you its probably a little late.

eljayv, Nov 19, 1:56am
With what!When we find moths in the sticky trap we spray with kiwicare catterpillar spray, is this what you mean!

wheelz, Nov 19, 3:48am
Carbaryl

wheelz, Nov 19, 3:50am
I have found that the lure remains effective for way longer than they say, mine last the season.

breness, Nov 20, 8:12am
Just an observation but I thought the sticky traps were only to let you know that the moth is around and about and that if several moths are caught you then have to spray.I use the twistie ties which are a disrupter and have had good sucess with them. With the twisties the male codling moth thinks there are heaps of other males around so goes elsewhere.

wheelz, Nov 20, 6:48pm
From the packaging : " Controlls the major cause of maggot damage in apples and pears - without pesticides "
Also says " if you are catching more than 15 moths per week, the infestation is high and additional traps may be needed.

So you can use them without the need for chemical spraying , but many use the traps, as you said, an indicator of when to spray.

eljayv, Nov 20, 8:22pm
Yes you are right, and we use an organic spray with BT.From what i have read on the twisties they work the same as the sticky traps but male moths just get confused when they find there is not a female there only a twistie, that confusion only lasts for about 48 hours then they go searching again.I read that twisties work best in large orchards.The good news (I hope) is that piece I saw in tv news a few nights back about thewaspthat attacks codling moth larvae and is available overseas has undergone 3 years testing here to ensure it doesn't make more problems than it cures and being made available here.

bugin, Nov 21, 8:38am
In a home garden you should NOT use a broad spectrum insecticide like Carbaryl.This will kill all the beneficial bugs and make more problems for you in the future .This is wrong thinking ,to be polite.As an orchardist we stopped using this type of chemical years ago.
The pheremone traps and mating disruption tape work in similar ways ,by emitting an attractant that confuses the male mating pattern .The caterpillar spray should only take out that type of insect ,and will not harm beneficials(predator bugs).

lemming2, Nov 23, 11:02am
Not only that, you'll kill the bees! For one thing, that means fewer apples, for another, the bees are in enough trouble already .

tigra, Nov 23, 7:53pm
I understand you can use the pheremone traps to help if you have grass grubs attacking your lawn

bugin, Nov 24, 9:48am
As you say ,bees are a beneficial insect .

wheelz, Nov 24, 11:32am
How does that work! I've never Found trapped beetles and the grubs certainly don't climb into the traps!

crackerjack19, Nov 25, 1:18am
I had a neighbour at at one place I owned and he had enough land to allow all his Orchard to be enclosed with netting to keep chooks and Khaki Campbell ducks inside the orchard. After about 3 years he never sprayed any of his trees because of the good work these two types of fowl did in his grass covered orchard.

scoonie1, Nov 20, 10:57pm
yes chooks are the way to go as coddlin moth larvae travel from the soil up the tree to the fruit chooks offer first line of defense, secondly try a greased bandage around the trunk of the tree (petroleum jelly would also suffice) spraying as a final solution anyway if the fruits got a few holes in it its probably the safest one to eat