Steps

rpvr, Feb 18, 3:10am
Replacing some rotted steps at the moment. There are two sets of four steps to a small landing off a verandah. Some have been replaced before and are nailed through the step into the 50x50 support piece underneath, but some of the originals are nailed through the sides (stringers is the term, I think!). Which is the correct way to nail steps! Seems to me nailing from the side looks neater, but those nailed at each end are easier to remove if they need it in the future. Comments!

slj1, Feb 18, 8:37am
Neither way you describe is any good. Treads should be checked into the side stringers and angle screwed/nailed from under neath. I have seen heaps of stairs like yours and are all a broken ankle waiting to happen. Do it right and bif them out. Able Stairs in Mt Wellington will see you right with a set that meet the building code,it's your safty at risk.

rpvr, Feb 18, 9:00am
This PDF seems to indicate that the kind I have are ok (see fig 5). I agree probably not ideal, though.
http://www.nzwood.co.nz/images/uploads/file/How%20To%20Guides/H2-Stairs%20Steps.pdf

trade4us2, Feb 18, 9:59am
If you don't have a router to make slots in the stringers, a circular saw can make slots. If that is too hard then the figure 5 method could be used although it's really a bodge. If you must do it that way, buy 150x50mm H4 at Mitre10 or Bunnings or almost anywhere else. It's only $4 per metre. Put two pieces per step. The 50x50 may as well be H4 too.
Get a packet of 75mm stainless steel screws - they won't pull apart like nails.
Or, I have seen precut stringers at Bunnings or Mitre10. Just cut some H4 steps and screw them in.

rpvr, Mar 14, 2:20pm
Great steps, but probably too good for my rough and ready property.