Feeding blueberries

magnolia60637, Feb 21, 6:42pm
Any suggestions on what to feed my blueberry plants, some websites say citrus fertilizer, others say azalea or rhodo fertilizer.The soil is not the best and the plants have not grown alot in two years.

harrislucinda, Feb 21, 7:34pm
yesthosefertilizesrareokas theylikeacidsoil
ididheartoputtbagsaroundbase

stevee6, Feb 21, 7:48pm
Improve the soil as that adds far more value to a plant than just fertiliser. Investing in a bag of compost per plant per year will have a big payoff.

kateley, Feb 21, 10:57pm
I've been growing 3 blueberries successfully in pots (in a good quality potting mix with added citrus fert)
This autumn I plan to plant them in the garden (it's been a mission keeping them watered this summer, should be easier in the ground)
I plan to buy a bale of peat, soak it in a wheelbarrow full of water then dig it into the garden area, with a couple of barrows of compost.
After I've planted the blueberries into this plot and watered in well, I will mulch with more peat and compost.
In the spring I will spread some citrus fert, water it in and mulch again with peat and compost.

wheelz, Feb 22, 3:43am
Come do mine!!

mottly, Feb 22, 3:45am
I've just been feeding mine sheep pellets - and they're growing like hell! I put straw around the base of them over summer to help keep a little moisture there.peat would be spot on - we went blueberry picking on the hauraki plains, and they're all growing in just peat.they love it.

macandrosie, Feb 22, 7:31am
Just remember that compost has no nutritional value toadd to the soil, it is just used to free up soil, or a soil condtioner. Better to find out the nuritional requirements, I think they would be happy with a handful of blood & bone around the base, but just remember they have fibrous roots so dig gently & water in fertiliser.

magnolia60637, Feb 22, 6:45pm
I have been using blood and bone but hasnt seemed to be very effective, it must be the soil

kateley, Feb 22, 9:07pm
I'm interested in the
'compost has no nutritional value' comment

My understanding is that compost is full of nutrition, it's the very basis of plant growth.In nature, as the leaves and fruit fall from the plants, the microorganisms in the soil break it down into usable food for the plants - the circle of life.

Things like blood and bone do add specific nutrients, but are not a complete or balanced food.Fertiliser mixes, like the citrus food you can buy, have a scientifically calculated balance of nutrients, a bit like a multi-vitamin for plants - but compost is the 'meat and 3 veg'

samanya, Feb 22, 10:38pm
Mulching with Pine needles I was told. Mine are not thriving either so I'm going to try the sheep pellet dose + plus pine needles.

clsnz, Feb 23, 9:46am
This is what I do every year and mine are growing well.

canz, Feb 23, 11:16am
I helped with cutting propagation and testing soil types the first blueberries that came into the country, over 30 years ago, we only ever added some osmocote(sp) pellets to the potting mix and plants grew well, you said you had poor soil, what type of soil, sand, clay, peat! there's a different remedy depending on the soil type

magnolia60637, Mar 20, 1:15pm
It appears to have alot of clay in the soil and is very moist thanks canz