Renovation Insurance

kid46, Feb 22, 8:39am
my daughter is borrowing $5000 from the bank and is putting it on her mortgage, they are putting in a new fire, and partly taking the wall between her lounge and dining room out they are not weight bearing walls or structure walls.they have been told by the bank they will need builders insurance as it isnt covered by theirinsurance they have read the conditions of their on the insurance policy and it say they are covered if it is not a structure or weight bearing build, there insurance company has quoted a price of $700 to cover them for a month it seem an outrages price as it really is just minor changes.is there anyway around this or getting cheaper price.They are having a professional installing the fire and have had advice and will get some help from a family friend who is a builder, it will really only take a day or two to take the wall out and get it finished. They have been advised they do not need a building consent.

buddytom, Feb 22, 9:10am
Maybe talk to an insurance broker, short term Insurance is always expensive. We were moving house once and the cost for that was astronomical. ( didn't buy it ).a broker may find a cheaper company for you

timbo69, Feb 22, 9:11am
Removing a non-loaded wall dont need consent therefore insurance company are being stupid, there are other insurance company's - i did major renovations with 9 inspections form council, AA insurance didnt care as long it got signed off as required and at no extra charge

kid46, Feb 24, 2:18am
Thanks Timbo69 thats what my daughter also thinks she has emailed the insurance company and explained it in full, she thinks that the lady that she was dealing with may not have fully understood what they were doing.

mm12345, Feb 24, 3:53am
Removing a load-bearing wall doesn't need consent, but putting a fireplace in almost certainly will.
Separate the jobs out.If you're doing the fireplace install yourself, then check with council about which hoops you'll need to go through to get consent and the inspection process.I've installed one myself, and there's a bit to go through - best talking to council first if anything isn't 100% clear to you WRT manufacturer's installation instructions and Council requirements.If you're getting it professionally installed, then ask the installer to arrange consents, and get proof of their insurance cover.You'll need a code compliance certificate once it's passed final inspection.
If you don't understand the process and the installation requirements for the fireplace (ie separation distances, hearth dimensions, flue installation through ceiling, flashings on roof etc) then get a professional installer in to advise before deciding which fireplace you want and where you want it to go.

tigger8, Feb 24, 3:54am
They have been advised they do not need a building consent.[/quote]
check with the council as they are installing a new fire

soph001, Feb 24, 4:15am
I've done way worse things than this without any extra insurance. I'd never even heard of renovation insurance. Whoops.

elect70, Feb 24, 4:16am
Dont bother ,, if it was being done by areg builder he would havepublic liability cover .If a new flue is going inyou need councilconsent .

nauru, Feb 24, 5:28am
When we installed our fire our installer did the council permit for us and the cost was included in his quote for installation.Your installer should be able to do this for you.

tezw1, Mar 21, 1:46am
Public Liability cover won't cover a contractor in this case. In the case of alterations our broker advised us to tag out of all-risks insurance and ask the home owner to organise with his house insurance. This was to reduce the risk of a battle between two insurers as to who was responsible