Heip with Conifers turning brown,losing needles

oakcottage, Feb 22, 6:18am
We live in drought stricken Canterbury and I have about 10 large, 3m high green conifers that are turning brown and losing needles/leaves.I water them with a weeper hose every other day and they seem to get worse!Other conifers that I am unable to water are lush and have no brown areas.I know they naturally brown in areas, but this is all over.Help!

spiritofgonzo, Feb 22, 8:23am
whenever someone mentions conifers suddenly going brown, I think of herbicide damage.Is it possible that someone sprayed roundup near the base!They are 'very' sensitive to sprays.Otherwise, watering every other day for established trees is too often.They might actually be getting too wet.In very dry conditions I might water my new trees once a week, and established trees maybe once a month . if at all.

bastardsquad, Feb 22, 8:50am
Perhaps less than helpful but: Workmate has mentioned sister up north saying 'even the trees are dying'. I'm in norwest coastal aucks and while lawns are fairly arid, mature trees all over my lifestyle block are fine. When you say 3m conifers, they're babies.they probably dont have the deep rooted structure needed to cope with harsh conditions, latitude aside.

southislandswim, Feb 22, 9:10am
We have had this live out Templeton What side of town are you.My husband dealt with them so will try to get it right.Sprayed with Shield every ten days to two weeks. Ours were only brown on the inside. Basically dying from the inside first.He really got in the middle of the tree with the shield.He only watered them from the bottom no water went over the tree only when it rained.I think we have saved ours we had about 30 like it.They would be about 5 years old.He also took a picture and a cutting to the nursery and that was their advice.Good luck any other questions let me know and I'll ask him.

southislandswim, Feb 22, 9:11am
It has taken about two months till we have seen an improvement

oakcottage, Feb 22, 8:39pm
We live in Rolleston.Souns like great advice.Going to get the shield spray today.Thanks so much

southislandswim, Feb 23, 4:30am
I have just spoken to my Husband today ours had little catterpillars & mites on them.He has just said to me today he thinks they are still dying!so if you hear anything different let us know!Weird how you guys are in Rolly and we are only down the road!

maclad, Feb 23, 6:37am
Are these 10 conifers Thuya pyramidals or similar. Tall and up to about 1M wide. If so they are very prone to case/bag moths and also another caterpillar which sticks all the foliage together. Spraying, throughly now will certainly help save them.

bugin, Feb 23, 7:58am
Possibly these are a cypress which are prone to canker ,which is highly contagious and pretty much untreatable.

koru67, Feb 23, 8:09am
interesting as we live next to a golf course and there are a number of very large cypress type trees dying or dead. I googled and found mention of canker. Certainly seems like canker might be the culprit up here.
"Trees which are susceptible to cypress canker are (in approximate order of decreasing susceptibility): Cupressus sempervirens, Cuppressus macrocarpa, X Cupressocyparis Leylandii, X Cupressocyparis ovensii, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, Cupressus chengiana, Cupressus lusitanica, Cupressus arizonica, Cupressus torulosa, Calocedrus decurrens, Thuja plicata, Thuja occidentalis and Juniperus spp."

obviousas, Mar 22, 10:54am
If it was nothing wrong with the trees except the effects of a drought, it is normal for the trees to conserve life by hibernating. More leaves meant more water required. I heard of scientists wanting to know weather over the years by studying the rings of large tree trunks in the area.By looking at the rings, they could unravel the wet years vs the dry ones.
So this year being extremely dry in some areas, the trees will go to survival mode rather than growth.Presumably, the rings are closer - no growth but tree trying to survive.
Last Wednesday's Newstalkback at 3.00(20/3/13) slot with Danny Watson, one listener asked the gardening guru the same question. If you can download the broadcast's Ruud K's answer he may be referring to the same situation.
Goodluck to you and the trees!