Curtains - long or short?

vwork, Mar 5, 2:29am
In the lounge (large room 32 sqm, but normal height ceiling not tall ceilingat all) I have one sliding door so curtain to floor, and then 3 windows where the windows are just normal meter and a bit in length.

Would it look better to have curtains to floor on those or is it actually making the room look smaller doing that! I was thinking about if the curtains look a bit chopped off when they finish half way up your wall. I guess the colour will make a big difference.

hmck, Mar 5, 2:38am
Long - it is way warmer in winter.

lilyfield, Mar 5, 2:39am
Long

pskpinks, Mar 5, 2:58am
Or change from short curtains to Roman blinds on shorter windows.

hilt_dwane, Mar 5, 4:14am
If you choose curtains for those windows, not only floor length for warmth but the window coverings look more uniform. Alternatively Roman blinds in the same curtain fabric would look nice. Remember though, if those windows face the late afternoon sun, you may want the option of shutting out some glare but not all light so perhaps consider wooden venetians there

soph001, Mar 5, 4:39am
Defo long.

sathan81, Mar 5, 6:25am
long.

gag5, Mar 5, 8:55am
short - waste of fabric & wallspace

vwork, Mar 5, 9:21am
It gets immense loads of sun on 3 of the short windows. Had though of blinds but gets cold in winter (curtains seem cosier!), and aluminium windows collect a bit of moisture so not sure re cleaning some blinds!

lythande1, Mar 5, 6:47pm
Mine are short.well longer than the bottom, but not to floor.

jag5, Mar 5, 7:55pm
Long for uniformity and just looking better.lush and full.

piquant, Mar 5, 8:21pm
As long as the curtains COVER the windows with a bit of extra all round (ie make the rods extend out sufficiently so that when the curtains are pulled back they do not cover the window) there is absolutely no benefit in having extra length. Some reckon it is more aesthetically pleasing but I don't agree in most cases. There is nothing more annoying than having to pull a piece of furniture away from a wall just in order that unnecessary curtaining can be fed in behind it. Most people do not have that much spare wall space that they have plenty of room to accommodate furniture without having to put it under windows. Just make sure that either your curtains are thermal backed AND put a further lining behind OR make sure your curtains have aseperate thermal lining. The latter is better as they hang more naturally. Not always possible though as some fabrics only come thermal coated. I'm with gag5!

toffeey, Mar 6, 3:35am
I personally like the look of long curtains and have them throughout my house.

valleygirl16, Mar 6, 4:12am
Gotta be long, gives the room a more classy look. But.if not then roman blinds will look good.
Curtains that just cover the window look cheap and half done i think

lemming2, Mar 6, 5:21am
Curtains shouldn't "just cover the windows", but hang several inches below for insulation. Ye gods, if I had floorlength curtains on all my standard windows, what on earth would I do with my sofa, bookcases, sideboard, tallboy, and BED! But if you have hardly any furniture, and reams of empty wall space, fine. Go for long. What matters more is uiformity of fabric pattern. I watch those ads for the wall panel econoheaters, and wonder how they do it. give me that much wall space and another bookcase goes in .

arielbooks, Mar 6, 10:56pm
I don't have most of my furniture right against the wall. I like air to circulate and it gives a more spacious look if there is a bit of space behind. In my lounge I have floor to ceiling windows with a sliding door with heavy drapes and a playpen sofa. The curtains are usually shut behind the sofa to keep the bright sun out but open by the sliding door. There is a walk space between curtains and sofa for ease of opening.

ninya, Mar 6, 11:10pm
Maybe true for light, but not for thermal insulation. Cold air behind curtains will always fall, so if your curtains do not form a 'seal' with the floor, this cold air will spill into the room. Then you'll get a lovely waterfall effect with warm air circulating down behind curtains too and being cooled. However, if the curtains are not thermally lined (or even better, insulated with bumf) then the warm air inside your room will still move through the fabric and out the window even if they are long.

piquant, Apr 6, 2:57am
OK well that may be applicable but probably more attributable to cavernous windows in old, uninsulated buildings. Surely, with the advent of double glazing this is less of an issue! I mean, how many places do you see pictures of in magazines and TV that don't have any window coverings! Personally, I would say that the average person couldn't even afford to think about bumf in their curtain linings - a large proportion of whom probably would be looking at ready mades. The reality is that the affordability is a huge issue. The fact that they might use more power heating a room (and losing a proportion of it) is a more affordable option spread over a greater time. If only everyone was in the position to afford the best!