Charging for assistants?

wlgdgirl, Mar 5, 8:11am
Had some gasfitting work done (removing an old gas fire).He had a minimum charge of 1 hr, on invoice it was listed as 0.5 hrs labour, plus an additional charge (much lower hourly rate) for the assistant which was also 0.5 hours.I dont mind paying for assistants if they are doing additional work, but if assistant was'nt there and it actually took the gasfitter 1 hr, the charge would have been the same.Am i being too picky!

bexter2, Mar 5, 8:42am
Ummm yes, the work was still done, you are obviously happy with the job, but have a problem with how the invoice is written!

russ18, Mar 5, 8:45am
If the gasfitter was on his own and charged one hour at full rate wouldn't that have been more expensive than half an hour at full rate and half an hour at a lesser rate!
Sounds like you got a good deal, what part are you not happy about!

wlgdgirl, Mar 6, 4:32am
No sorry, I did'nt explain properly - he charged me one hour full rate (minimum charge for him) + half an hour assistants rate. (total 1.5 hrs). On invoice it said job took him half an hour, so if assistant was'nt there I would have been charged one hour full rate, not one hour full rate plus half hour assistant rate.

wlgdgirl, Mar 6, 4:35am
Basically, I'm a little unhappy as feel that I have been double charged for a half hours work.(the half hour the assistant did but gasfitter did'nt but still charged for).Difference is about 50 bucks, thinking I should just take it on the chin and chalk it up to lesson learnt

budgel, Mar 6, 4:54am
If you are getting billed for someone that wasnt there, take it up with the gasfitter.

If he has a minimum charge of one hour (even if he only worked for half an hour) and you got a bill that came to that amount, where is the problem!

I cant understand how the bill could be the same if the assistant was charged out at a lesser rate.

You are within your rights to query the bill.

stevo2, Mar 6, 5:07am
Perhaps the apprentice did some prep work or went for parts before he left the workshop!

wlgdgirl, Mar 6, 5:09am
I wasnt charged for an hour - I was charged 1.5 hrs.(for 1 hrs work, half of which was gasfitter, half was his assistant).Basically, I was given a verbal quote of 1 hr labour to do job.I was expecting one gasfitter to show up and charge me the 1 hr labour ($80 + GST).Instead two people showed up, both worked for half an hour (making one hour total).I was charged $80 + GST plus $40 + GST.

amasser, Mar 6, 5:26am
Their job to pay and train - not yours.

aredwood, Mar 6, 6:03am
If only 1 person has shown up could he have done the job by himself! Or was there heavy lifting or another reason that 2 people were required to complete the job!

wlgdgirl, Mar 6, 7:11am
No heavy lifting involved.Definately could have done the job alone.All job involved was removing as gas fire (I was able to lift this myself into my vehicle to take to dump), and disconnecting the gas pipes.

anne1955, Mar 6, 7:59am
Sorry haven't read all the thread but a few weeks ago I got charged 25.00 for asking a question!Yes had a neighbour having an extra box for Freeview added, asked if I could ask them a question, they siad fine and he sent the young guy to see me I asked if I was putting the right plugs into right places to connect mine. Nice you guy looked and said fine boss came back along and said 25.00 please! They where at my neighbours and said I just had a question.They had just had the Council's contract for doing Dunedin all the connections and wiring to ariels to free view.At which time I didn't have a set top box or the TV i have now, so work to my house was just making sure the new ariel would work, where others all got them tunned etc.no haven't said to council about it but will when they visit next month.And the neighbour only called them because they like me didn't have the right box etc at the time.So she thought she'd use the same people.They charged her 10.00 just for answering her call to come to the address I am the youngest in the block so I will also bring this up with the council.but know what they will say.Not there problem outside what they had been contracted to do.

redhead96, Mar 6, 9:42am
Sounds like they are trying it on with the bill. Ring them and complain.

nukhelenc, Mar 6, 9:16pm
what about the time they spent driving to ya house. Driving away. Vehicle charge etc The list is endless lol

nukhelenc, Mar 6, 9:18pm
That seems a little stink. Maybe they should have said it will cost u x amount. Maybe next time ask if its going to cost you for the look

40wav, Apr 7, 3:08pm
Without the assistance of a cheaper person (who is receiving training at the same time) the job may have taken the more expensive guy an hour and a half, so would end up costing you more. For such a small amout it wont be worth arguing, and I'd be happy you got to learn this lesson on a small job, so when you need a big job done you can ask the right questions from experience.