Lawnmowers with a chipperchute, are they worth it?

sooby, Nov 13, 11:02am
howdy all,

Came across a lawnmower that has an inbuilt chipper chute, meaning you can feed small branches into it to get turned into mulch, here is a link:

http://www.masport.co.nz/PRODUCTINFORMATION/Chipperchute/tabid/909/Default.aspx

My questions to anyone that's owned or used one - are they up to it, and is it worth it!

Not sure a dedicated woodchipper might be cheaper & more efficient etc overall, any ideas!

appreciate any advice, thanks

lythande1, Nov 13, 6:21pm
I have one. Brilliant!Of course it depends whether you are likely to need it.

firefly001, Nov 14, 4:40am
I have one too but i don't really need it (although i did use it quite a bit when i first got it)

sooby, Nov 14, 7:30am
Thanks guys,

I guess it's one of those things that even if you don't use it lots, at least it's there when you do need it once you do own one.

helenandjohn, Nov 14, 8:06am
I bought a Masport with a chippershute 8 years ago and have never used the shute.

arabelle, Nov 14, 9:16am
tried to use it and the chips just flew around the garden. no way to collect them. got told by the mower fixeruppers never get anything with a double action. waste of time and only brings problems. so really a fairly neutral report.but good for a few sticks.!.then since I have rabbits and goats, they eat them anyway.

lalbagh, Nov 14, 4:54pm
if it is anything like those electric garden shredders where you can only feed in one twig at a time, end on, then forget it, you will give up in utter frustration well before the pile of branches is gone. Quicker way- spread all the twigs out over the lawn(nothing too thick mind you), then simply run the mower across them as if they were grass. For bigger volumes hire a larger shredder that will take armfuls at once.

cantabman1, Nov 1, 6:08pm
if its a masport it should be very good as they austemper there blades to make them very hard and strong.