Help me out here with decorating, who is right?

yoyo72, Jan 25, 4:59am
we have a huge home, one colour throughout, double strength that colour on the door frames etc. want to break it up a little without going over board, hubby wants to do a feature wall in most rooms but in only the one colour for all of the rooms, i want to do the feature walls in a diff colour each room to get a bit of variety but that still keep with the flow of the original colour if that makes sense. what does everyone thing! as long as it goes with the wall colour to do a few different colours or just the one feature colour wall in every room! (seems a bit boring to me to do same colour throughout again!)

olwen, Jan 25, 5:00am
It would be boring to me, but then I hate all rooms the same colour anyway.

joy2004, Jan 25, 5:48am
Personally I think feature walls are so yesterday.

Get some really big artwork.

stevee6, Jan 25, 5:53am
Yep - feature walls have had their dash. Better to do one colour to connect all the rooms, then individualise them with artwork, curtains etc. You can use wallpaper that contains the main colour on a wall, preferably one broken with some thing like windows opr a fireplace so it doesn't look like one big slab.

blurple1, Jan 25, 6:25am
do two joining walls in each room as a feature, do the feature walls double whatever the main colour is.

amasser, Jan 25, 7:22am
Don't watch "60 Minute(s) Make-over". Feature walls are boring but seem to be required in their formula.

lilyfield, Jan 25, 9:15am
No feature wall please- its so yesterday.show off your pictures instead.

don735, Jan 25, 9:22am
I think good decorating (Painting)is the decorating you dont see.It should be the wall hangings the Paintings etc that bring the rooms to life.If you think about it a wall is bloody ugly,put a Painting on the wall or what ever then its the Painting you see not the wall.

sooby, Jan 25, 9:48am
Not a fan of painted feature walls, always looks unfinished / like you ran out of paint!

Stone veneer feature walls on the other hand give texture and can look incredible.

Each to their own tho, good luck!

jkp58, Jan 25, 8:52pm
Wallpaper

mary92, Jan 26, 9:47am
Instead of a different colour wall use a piece of furniture or painting I feel looksbetter. Also you can move or change art work or a table etc.

kuaka, Jan 26, 10:44am
There is no right or wrong here, it's what you like or don't like.It can be a bit of a problem if you and your other half can't agree.When we bought this house (we moved in 6 years ago this weekend) I thought one of the first things we would do would be to repaint the main living area which was a hideous bright yellow (rag-washed stuff, put on and taken half off again) at one end of the room with karitane yellow at the other end.Well we finished it just before Christmas.We couldn't agree on the colour.He wanted pale grey for the ceiling and even paler grey for the walls.I didn't.In the end I agreed because I was so sick of the yellow/mustard and even though the colours we used wouldn't be my first choice, it is a 300% improvement on what we had been putting up with before.

I'm not fussed on feature walls - I always think it looks like you've run out of paint, so used something else rather than buy enough to finish the job.

lythande1, Feb 9, 10:41pm
Feature walls, bleh. I repainted the ones here in the colour the rest of it was.
You want colour, do it with your furnishings and furniture and artwork etc, much easier to change when you get bored with it too.