Stripping paint to bare wood and painting

ang_ck, Jan 20, 8:35pm
I would like an opinion please. I am stripping the weatherboard to barewood before painting it. The challenges I faced are
a. do I strip all the weatherboard to bare wood, sand it and then paint it or
b. do I do a divide an conquer approach, strip the weatherboard to a certain point, paint it and then strip the remainder!

if I have the time, i would love to do (a), however, that might take weeks.

annies3, Jan 20, 8:43pm
Better to do it a bit at a time so that the bare wood is then painted and protected before you go on to the next bit, bare wood can absorb water so not a great idea to leave it for long uncovered, do undercoat it with a very godd base too.

timbo69, Jan 20, 9:04pm
I can understand your thinking about taking it back to the wood but unless the paint is seriously pealing off then these is no point - if the current paint is still well on then leave is there. Give it a good water blast buy a decent orbital sander a give the surface a good scratch up and paint it. It is a big job to paint a house but it is a mammoth job to strip it back to wood.

timbo69, Jan 20, 9:38pm
It will take weeks/month to strip.

ang_ck, Jan 21, 12:07am
annies3, I will do a divide and conquer approach. The preparation is hard work, All the bits of paint everywhere.

timo69, some parts of the paint is flaking away. So, I have no choice but to strip it to bare wood. I did your approach of using the orbital sander initially, but the result was not satisfactory.thanks for your reply.

jezabeel, Jan 21, 1:44am
What method of stripping are you doing!

trade4us2, Feb 2, 3:01am
Well my paintwork was so bad that I ended up using an angle grinder with a flap disk in it. The sandpaper kept falling off the orbital sander.
However the weatherboards were pit sawn so the finish didn't matter much!
http://i45.tinypic.com/2a66ybs.jpg