Cleaning ranch slider tracks

infinityjrc, Jan 7, 9:16am
Hi can anyone advise me what is the best way to clean ranch slider tracks please just moved into a house with very dirty ranch slider track, hard to get into the groves between the tracks, is it safe to attempt to take the door out!Unsure how to do this and whether I would get it back together again would appreciate any help with a plan to tackle this job, and any tips on keeping the track and groves clean so the door functions well.Also any tips on securing a ranchslider door currently has a standard lock on it and nothing else, can a security door be fitted and or what other type of lock mechanism would work.
Thanks for any help.

robybob, Jan 7, 9:27am
I clean my tracks with an old toothbrush and a cloth wrapped around a knife, that works well for me. My ranch-slider is over 30 years old and to take it out I lift it up and out, not sure about the newer ones. To keep it gliding well I rub the tracks with a candle. To secure it we have put a dead lock on so it cannot be taken off if locked.

glenn_michelle, Jan 7, 9:28am
The door should lift up and out unless the head track has dropped which makes it more difficult to remove,you can use an old toothbrush to clean the tracks and then use silicone spray to lubricate the track as it will not attract any dust like wd40 would.locks wise the cheap option is a piece of wood wedged in when the door is shut,security doors can be retro fitted or the ranchslider set may already have security door track installed,some do but not all.

glenn_michelle, Jan 7, 9:30am
x1
you can also screw some packers or blocks up into the head track at various points to act as anti lifting blocks as some doors can be simply lifted up and it will unlatch itself,just open the door and screww two blocks in so they are at 1/4 points of where the door will be when shut

kp11, Jan 7, 9:32am
Toothbrush

cantabman1, Jan 7, 9:52am
I think graphite powder would also be a good lubricant as used in locks.

bridgemaster, Jan 7, 6:21pm
When we were selling our house we cleaned them with cotton buds they seem to get in the corners have talked to a cleaner they reckon best way is skewers with a bit of cloth attached that works as well we cleaned with handy andy worked well and stayed clean for ages hope this helps.

trah, Jan 23, 2:47am
Glenn_michelle - what is the brand of the silicone spray you mentioned, and where would I get it please!