Best way to clean a bbq?

blurple1, Jan 5, 8:44pm
hey guys what is the best way to clean your bbq after cooking!

eezy1, Jan 5, 8:49pm
leave it out for the cats to lick it clean :)

les6, Jan 5, 9:44pm
scrape it down while still hot,never a problem!

davea74, Jan 5, 9:44pm
Dont clean the hotplates, they will rust.Scrape any solids off and leave it until next time.When you use it next time, heat it up nice and hot, and whipe it over with some handytowels.

The grill, if you use one of those bbq cleaner brass brushes it gets into the sides of the cross bits.Once again only do it the next time you use it.

Other surfaces I use spray and whipe (make sure it's not too hot though, otherwise you can have a fire on your hands!)

canz, Jan 5, 11:58pm
If you are talking about where the grease has splashed, baking soda and vinegar,
Soaking tough meat in a pinch of baking soda and covered with water fr 10 minutes, then rinsed will make the meat a lot more tender.

muzzaandmich, Jan 6, 12:07am
The oldest trick in the book .

Wipe off excess foodDON'T CLEAN .
Sprinkle a good amount of salt on hot plates
and leave. DO NOT CLEAN SALT OFF .
Do not touch until you next fire up
Try it and see
Works for us

vomo2, Jan 6, 6:57am
A word of caution re the use of the wire brushes. Our meal was ruined last week by very fine wires in the meat from the use of the wire brush just prior to cooking. The brush was relatively new from Mitre 10.

soph001, Jan 6, 7:07am
Ours was reeeeeal bad, thick black stuff everwhere. Like, never been cleaned in 5 years. I took both the lines-grill and the solid plate off and used oven cleaner on both of them.
Rinse extremely thoroughly, then heat, rinse again, and get hot with oil on it.

mark_g, Jan 6, 7:36am
I've tried many methods, and I have come to this conclusion: No matter how you choose to do it, do it while it's hot. That can be straight after cooking (so while everyone is eating you're out there scraping and cleaning) or when you fire it up next for your next cookup. Up to you.

I used to do it after cooking as I like whipping the lid off to find a sparkling clean BBQ every time we chose to use it. But got sick of watching people eat while I was cleaning - so currently I'm cleaning it prior to each cook up. Just allow an extra 5-10 mins before cooking to clean the thing.

Avoid marinades like the plague!

allspices, Jan 6, 8:48am
Mitre 10 have a great spray on barbecue cleaner that's used cold.

paddypf, Jan 6, 9:07am
Just push oil & residue down hole to burn off then rub the whole cooking surface with a couple of sheets of newspaper. When you next light it once plates are hot rub down again with newspaper then apply a little oil for cooking.

tmenz, Jan 6, 9:24am
Water blast the hotplates and grilles.

ngacooky, Jan 6, 6:59pm
i cut an onion in half and wipe all over the plate when its hot

hutchk, Jan 6, 7:15pm
I think M10 might have a problem on their hands - I was given the same brush for Xmas and it is still losing bristles after several uses. My old one kept all of its bristles for years.

wfl1, Jan 7, 7:44am
The best bbq cleaner I have found is to rub half a lemon around on a hot plate and scrape off any residue. Works well.

pomgirl1, Jan 7, 8:14am
I scrape the solids off while it is hot, when it's cool I give it a wipe with olive oil and when I go to use it again I rub it over with an onion.works for me

lynneandella, Jan 21, 3:02am
Onion here too =)