Walk in Shower on a Concrete Floor

Page 1 / 2
hsvchix, Oct 20, 7:56pm
We are trying to put a walk in ground level shower in our bathroom on a concrete floor does anyone know if this can be done were useing tiles on the floor and walls but would like to make sure we do it correctly So We don't have a mess Thanks

aredwood, Oct 20, 8:22pm
It definitely can be done. As for how hard alot depends on amount of work needed to get the waste outlet in the correct place.

bergkamp, Oct 20, 8:31pm
is there anexisting waste !

edwards12, Oct 20, 9:18pm
You should probably get an expert tiler in to createa base which fall to your waste and tank (waterproof) base and walls to ensure you have no leaks as tile showers are expensive to fix

catkin007, Oct 20, 10:01pm
I did this.The original idea was to form the slope directly into the concrete floor, but that was going to be too difficult.What the tiler did was build a layer over the shower area that drains to the waste, and that was then tiled.We put a small (10cm or so) barrier between the shower and the rest of the bathroom.I imagine if you wanted a straight walk-in shower with no barrier, you would have to create the base over the whole bathroom floor.But best to talk to a tiler if you want an expert opinion.

budgel, Oct 20, 11:01pm
A 10cm barrier is about 4", not that small in my opinion.

newtec1, Oct 21, 9:04am
Yes it can be done and is a good idea providing you have the correct floor waste[easy- clean] which is self explanitary because the waste is shallow and is also used as the trap and can be removed to clean it. You will need to build a nib wall around the shower with hebal blocks 70mmx 40mm glued to the floor and then the whole inside of the shower base waterproofed before tiling.What are you fixing the wall tile to.!

newtec1, Oct 21, 9:06am
If you have a big bathroom and don't want a screen or shower door you will only need to waterproof the shower area and delete the nib wall.

newtec1, Oct 21, 9:10am
Normally if we do that we take out all the conc in the shower base,fit a new wasteand form a new conc base with the correct fall to the new waste.In reply to # 5

hsvchix, Oct 21, 11:01am
Hi There We havnt got one yet but we will have to make one

hsvchix, Oct 21, 11:02am
That sounds like some good news I wasn't sure if it could be done

hsvchix, Oct 21, 11:04am
That's the part that's worrying me I'd like to make sure It's done properly

hsvchix, Oct 21, 11:09am
Thankyou for Explaining to me How You did It It makes it sound possible To do and some really Good Advise of getting a Tiler in to have alook

hsvchix, Oct 21, 11:19am
Thank you So Much for the Helpful advise We now know it can be done and done Properly We had a fair idea but were abit worried it was wrong butFrom Your Information You Have Given Us on Here I think we Should be able to Make One up Thankyou
We are Fixing the wall Tile to Gib

hsvchix, Oct 21, 11:20am
Awesome Thankyou

hsvchix, Oct 21, 11:22am
You Have Been a Huge Help answering my questions They have been really Helpful

newtec1, Oct 21, 7:47pm
Depending on what type of Gib is on the wall.Once again if it is standard gib and fixed as per standard gib it probably won't be stable enough.We use gib called aqualine which is more stable and has a built in moisture protection,and will need to be glued and fixed with screws at a much closer centers than normal gib.150mm on every stud & nog.Just for peace of mind and far better quality at not much cost i would remove the old gib and go from there.You will find it is far easier to strip it back and start again,the main expense wil be labour,but if you do it yourself problem solved.

newtec1, Oct 21, 7:49pm
Bathrooms can be a major problem if you don't do it right from the start.It may seem like a lot of work,but if you don't you will have never ending problems.

newtec1, Oct 21, 7:53pm
Don't forget your waste will have to connect to the existing drainage system depending where that is.

helpless, Oct 21, 8:42pm
Solid Plasterer will create your fall on the existing concrete.tiler tiles over that.Done the showers for wheelchair access many times.Tiler may even create the fall himself using solid if he's smart.

karakagranny, Oct 21, 9:15pm
Yep can be done. We have 2 extra wide (wheel chair width) ground floor walk in tiled floors/walls showers. Easy to clean, no leakage, highly recommend esp if you have disabilities or small kids that you want to hose off after soccer etc

supernova2, Oct 22, 12:17am
IMHO thats a no no in a tile shower.
It is quite possible to achieve what you want to do but you will need to make the room waterproof first.Whilst you can do it DIY I really think you will be better off in the long run by getting the professionals in to do the whole room.

newtec1, Oct 22, 3:11am
Nothing wrong with aqualine gib glued and fixed to specs,but standard gib would be asking for trouble.

supernova2, Oct 22, 4:35am
How do you intend to waterproof the sheet joins, fixing holes and the edge between the gib sheet and the concrete floor!

newtec1, Oct 22, 6:09am
The waterproofer will use fabric tape on all joins and edges with acrylic compound designed especially for that pupose.He will also cover the base completely with two coats as well as up the wall at least 100 mm.That will give you a fully waterproof tray to cover with tiles .As for the gib wall joints,they will be stopped as per normal with paper tape.