Yates Seeds - A Ripoff or What ?

chaff., Jan 3, 11:26pm
x2
Purchased yesterday a Packet of Yates Climbing Bean Seeds from Mitre 10 Mega .

Sowed them this morning and only 12 seeds in the Packetat a cost of $5.98.
I Feel This is an absolute Rip-Off.
Maybe they charge a Lot for the Name.

Anyone Elses Thoughts !

steptoesnr, Jan 3, 11:45pm
I think you will find resellers have unjustified vast margins on seeds that are not rapidly perishable but don't know a way round it.

dibble35, Jan 4, 1:03am
That does sound very expensive. unless they were an unusual variety - such asan heirloom variety. If regular run of the mill climbing beans such as scarlett runner, yellow bean etc, then yes a major rip off. we sell about 5 diff climbing bean varieties and they are $2.30(The gardener)- $2.80(watkins) a packet and a lot more than 12 in there.

helianthus, Jan 4, 1:29am
I have always thought that Yates put too few seeds in their packets. I buy most of mine from Kings but also think the Warehouse seed packets are exceptionally good value - and they seem to provide 100% germination.

chaff., Jan 4, 2:07am
These Seeds are Yates Climbing Beans Stringless Scarlet Price Code 2 (NZ)

maclad, Jan 4, 3:34am
Is there anywhere on the packet that gives an indication as to roughly how many seeds are inside. I know I've seen that on some seed packets, but 12 bean seeds, that is ludicrious.

chaff., Jan 4, 3:45am
Yes Have Just Had another Look at Fineprint on back of the Packet and it states contains approx 25 seeds.

Have Phoned Yates and spoke to a Territory Manager who Told Me that Should be About 34 Seeds per Packet and $6.00 was a Correct Price from Mitre 10Mega. Yates are I am Told will send me another Packet of Seeds ! Wow.
Seems expensive to me when Watkins Seeds are certainly Cheaper so Now I wonder if Mitre 10 Mega or Yates are Ripping ME !

kateley, Jan 4, 4:06am
Mitre10 Mega carry several brands of seed - you had the choice to buy a cheaper variety

franken1, Jan 4, 4:17am
Stringless Scarlett are a fairly new variety and as such, one of the most expensive. Standard Yates varieties retail for around $3.99.

lythande1, Jan 4, 4:17am
Keep your own and grow from them next time round.

rsr72, Jan 4, 4:25am
#1- And,.how about the Great Lawn Grass-seed Ripoff!
Seeds designed not to germinate after storing in the garage for a couple of years or more.

maclad, Jan 4, 4:43am
Do you really believe that. Seeds come with a built in energy/ survival system that helps to keep them viable for a few years if stored and stored in the correct conditions. They do not have and endless supply of "food" to keep them alive should you choose to keep them too long before planting and all seeds have an expiry date on the packet.

dibble35, Jan 4, 5:50am
Well yes then a fancy new variety, but still expensive. As lythande says, if they are a nice varierty then save some seeds for next year, easy to do and save yourself $6. Warehouse seeds are cheap as, I think i've bought them for $2 a packet and nothing wrong with them, you probably wont get the fancy new varieties though

net_oz, Jan 4, 7:06am
You're right Yates are a rip off.
Kings seeds are the best value by far.

cantabman1, Jan 14, 12:19pm
yes, there is certainly a variation between brands on the weight of seeds in a packet. It does really pay to compare apples to apples.
I to try and keep some of my seeds each year, for the next season, but some just are not worth it as new and better varieties keep comming out.
Monsanto Corp [Round Up]have an aweful lot to answer to since they started modifying seeds some years ago.
Where as once a farmer would keep part of his crop seed for the next year, this is often now near impossible because Monsanto have Gen Mod the seed to product a crop but not re-germinate the next year.