Pellet fire

tands3, Oct 27, 7:00pm
We are thinking of having one installed. Are they any good!

vomo2, Oct 27, 9:33pm
Some fire outlets have them on display. I have always been impressed and would like one should we need to replace ours.

redhead96, Oct 27, 10:09pm
Don't most need electricity to work so not that good in power cut.

howgoodisit, Oct 27, 10:35pm
You have to buy the pallets. so no good IMO.
I cut all my fire wood and collect for free.
NO doubt once heaps of people have them installed the price of pallets will start going up big time.

paxandtrax, Oct 28, 12:03am
Do your homework. Cheap ones are noisy because they are made of thin steel. I bought one made in Italy and you dont hear any noise at all. The old story you only get what you pay for. We are really pleased with ours. Dont worry about power outage. how often does that happen. Good luck.

les6, Oct 28, 4:54am
usually when its cold ,wet and windy!

kernal1, Oct 28, 6:07am
New ones have back up if power goes off so no longer a problem but can you remember when you last had a power cut! Pellets in SI are getting cheaper, fire wood getting dearer, not to mention the work involved with a wood burner.getting wood, drying, room to stack, even before you start burning! Yes, do your homework, talk to people who already have them, maybe a more true idea of cost to run etc! Family have just been down this track and delighted! Large 2 storied home, young children and seldom need Heatpump. Would swap my woodburner immediately, if possible!

amie10, Oct 28, 6:44am
Had one and hated the thing. Very little heat compared with the amount of pellets it went through. I am happy with out heat pump now and it even keeps us cool in summer too!

kuaka, Oct 28, 6:57am
We last had a power cut on Thursday morning, just after the men arrived to install our heat pump!How ironic I thought.

nik12, Oct 28, 7:09am
Parents in law have one. It's warm and clean. Pellets no dearer than buying wood and so much easier to deal with. Best thing you turn it off when you go out, then turn it back on in 30 secs when you home.

rojill, Oct 28, 9:07am
Noisy things and dominate the room.
Would never even think about owning one.
Have spoken to many people about them, including retailers and Heating consultants and the honest ones will admit they have lost a lot of popularity compared with 2 or 3 years ago.
drift seems to be back to efficient log burners coupled with burning DRY WOOD ONLY.
CERTIFIED dry wood suppliers mean wood that has been cut 2 YEARS ago and allowed to dry.
Anything less a period of drying time will result in smoky and cold fires.
The wood should be totally alight within 2 minutes of being added to the fire, if not, it is not dry and you, the buyer of the wood, have been conned and paid for WET wood. A lot of the heat from the burning wood will be used in converting the water in the wet wood into steam - - just a waste of your money when you have paid for wood to heat your house.

rojill, Oct 28, 9:46am
You may be interested to know that after considerable testing Consumer NZ have a contrary view on pellet burners.

tands3, Oct 28, 7:50pm
thanks for your input folks. Will now try and find and speak to people who have them.

hairydog2, Oct 28, 9:45pm
Do you cut the pallets up for firewood!

nukhelenc, Oct 28, 11:46pm
Whats the max heat output of a pallet fire! Coz once its there im sure ya wont get anymore heat outa it, and if its not so noisy to start with i wunder how it would be in a few years.
I wouldn't have one, but if i was 90 i would give it some thought i suppose. Wouldn't it be good if you could dry out sheep shit and burn that :)

traderat, Nov 13, 10:17am
You can not put pallets in a pellet burner I reckon

luxy, Nov 13, 6:52pm
we had one for 2 winters, good luck getting any service on them if you live out a mainstream area. They are not efficient and expensive to run

celticbreeze, Nov 17, 9:11am
i have one, i dont really have a major problem with them, except getting somebody with a car to pick some up for me!costs now around $15-16 per bag, lasts me a week if i only use it at night and have it on low, so it doesnt chew through the pellets quicker!VERY warm in my opinion, but i only have a 2 bedroom unit.Doesnt take much time to clean inside either, and the ashes are good for the garden.Little bit noisy but that doesnt bother us.

bexter2, Nov 17, 8:43pm
Soo when was the last time you had a power cut! they are very few and very far between these days, if at all. if your rural it might be reguarly. but not in the cities.

we have a pellet fire and is great, same heat as a logburner, but with a fun. ours is 10kw and heaps for our house,

u do have to buy pellets, but your not a slave to your fire as with a logburner. people say you can get free wood BUT how much does it cost in petrol for the saw and labour in the splittin, stacking and mess!

People forget about the cost to those things! theres no such thing as free wood!

captaingraham, Nov 6, 7:03pm
HiWhat brand is your fire please!Cheers