F & P Smart Drive 058 washing machine died

sunflower187, Dec 10, 4:42am
We had a power cut a couple of days ago. At that time our washing machine was doing its last spin. When the power cut off we turned the machine off at the plug. When the power returned the machine wouldn't turn back on, not even any lights. Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting fixed. It's not a new machine. It is insured, but have to get a technician to confirm the problem was caused by the power cut and then they have to say whether it is worth fixing. If it needs replaced we would have to pay an insurance excess. We are wondering about a second hand machine off here. Has anyone had a similar mechanical/electrical problem that could offer advice! Thank you.

wayne472, Dec 10, 5:12am
Sounds like A reset button on the motor has popped,I dont know where it is,have A look around the motor and elsewhere for A red button when you find it push it in! Have A look on the control panel for A "reset" button!
Good luck!

Search here ___
http://tinyurl.com/bkfbg6e

mm12345, Dec 10, 5:25am
^^^
AFAIK there's no "reset" button on the Smart Drive motors.
It should run a "self diagnostic" when first plugged in at the wall - a "musical" series of beeps.
Double-check that a fuse hasn't blown on your switchboard - and the mains socket is working.
Without "self-diagnostic" and lights coming on in the panel, you're not going to be able to get fault codes off the machine, so everything else is just guessing.First guess is that the control board is dead.If so, then it's going to be a real stretch of the imagination to prove that was because of a power cut.

sunflower187, Dec 10, 7:35am
Thanks. Someone told me around $300 for repairs. I agree mm12345, there will be a call out fee for the technician. They might not even be able to prove anything if there is no power to the machine. Then it might not be even worth fixing it. We can probably get a second hand machine for around $200 on here.

pamow69, Dec 11, 10:08am
By looking at the circuit board for clues as to why it failed i.e. corrosion on the board, moisture, insects etc together with a check of all parts of machine ( motor, pump,valves, lid switch etc) using a multimeter (no power required). Any half good tech can make a reasonable assumption as to cause. Especially if it happened as stated when power cut happened. If no other parts need replacing, just replacing the control board should cost no more than $180 unless they are ripping you off. I know cause I repair appliances for a living. If you buy a second hand one privately, how do you know that control board isn't about to give up as well!

rlr29, Dec 12, 4:59pm
Plug it in somewhere else first before you do any of these things.