Is aqualine or similar a legal requirement for wet

wine-o-clock, Aug 12, 10:15pm
area walls?

johotech, Aug 12, 10:17pm
No. Not unless it is specified on consented plans.
But it's a damn good idea to use it.

wine-o-clock, Aug 12, 10:49pm

johotech, Aug 12, 10:57pm
What's your point? There isn't any reference to aqualine.

Besides, that is just a reference to means of compliance.

jonners2013, Aug 12, 11:13pm
the builder who did my bathroom reno said that if he ripped all the old linings out, he would have to replace with aqualine. he said it wasn't optional.

i guess i don't know if it was just his own standards that he was referring to or something more.

johotech, Aug 13, 12:35am
I'm sure a lot of people might have amusing anecdotes they could share as well.

lissie, Aug 13, 2:45am
I'd fire a builder that suggested using anything else in a bathroom

jonners2013, Aug 13, 3:34am
not sure what is amusing about it.

underconstructy, Aug 13, 3:53am
Id fire you for not know there is other acceptable or better products than aqualine.

cagivachick1, Aug 13, 4:42am
who needs bathrooms, only dirty people wash

stevo2, Aug 13, 5:32am
x2
Id fire you for firing all these people

zak410, Aug 13, 5:59am
I personally think that standard Gib when oil-sealed is as good as waxy aqualine, and is perfectly adequate for small bathroom repairs or remodelling.

Don??

johotech, Aug 13, 6:17am
I fired a council building inspector that said that not having aqualine on every wall in a bathroom was illegal. Told him to get off site and send someone competent to do the inspections.

ae64, Aug 13, 8:30am
Here is a good example of our building industry being educated by marketing companies - but i'm not sure why wineoclock answered their own question. The E3 pdf is a guide telling you what will work. It doesn't include or refer to aqualine. But it doesn't offer a VM so there is no accepted route to what product works. But not to worry,. BRANZ et al can help as long as the makers of aqualine pay enough

happychappy50, Aug 13, 9:02am
Zac is correct,personally when doing a bathroom I apply a waterproof membrane around the walls as extra insurance,it is a cheap effective way to help stop water penetration (exterior).Whether it is Aqualine or std gib a decent amount of water from a leak will soon destroy it & at the cost variables I have used std gib with a membrane,far more cost effective & it works provided you have bondbreakers installed.Have repaired 100s of leaky bathrooms where poor quality workmanship was used & not enough attention paid to what was trying to be achieved.These days where wet floors are becoming more popular have seen.The main problem causing this is too much speed & not enough time to do the job correctly & follow correct procedure.Ha have had a few run ins with council inspectors as well,after explaining my procedures many have changed their tune,after all I warrant my work & the last thing I want is for something to bite me on the a. e & I have never had a failure yet.

ae64, Aug 13, 9:25am
x1
why use a gypsum product (aqualine) when a more moisture resistant and compressed fibre cement product is available? - do the ol' "leave it in a bucket of water for a month" test

amasser, Aug 14, 7:03am
Hardiglaze rep's stated that it could be installed without gib board lining - not sure of current regulations.

wine-o-clock, Aug 14, 9:32am
which is? My thread title did say 'or similar'

ae64, Oct 27, 5:42pm
hey wine-o-clock . Q . "is aqualine or similar a requirement for wet area walls ?" A. no.