Hay or straw for strawberries

wayne172, Aug 9, 9:24am
Is it ok to use hay around strawberry plants it is so much cheaper than straw. Or should I buy straw? Thanks for you advice.

happychappy50, Aug 9, 9:53am
More likely to get a heap of seeds germinate from hay.Straw maybe be hard to get,I wonder how untreated wood shavings would go? Being untreated it would break down creating organic matter for the soil,help suppress weeds to name a few.

Someone else may have other ideas tho

pinkybar, Aug 9, 10:15am

lythande1, Aug 9, 8:11pm
I use leaves.

annies3, Aug 9, 8:48pm
Last year we used black plastic, it worked quite well, the strawberry ground was well composted and moulded up into ridges, I am very much a learner when it comes to strawberries but I have seen them grown this way.

mkbooks, Aug 9, 10:52pm
Commercial strawberry growers used to do this

samanya, Aug 9, 11:43pm
So do I . they are free & plentiful, they keep the berries clean & then break down supplying the acid content to the soil that strawberries like.

macandrosie, Aug 9, 11:46pm
I think using straw is best. It's really to help keep the fruit clean & stop it going mouldy if things get too wet. The problem with hay is it is full of grass seed & it WILL germinate in your strawberry bed!

wayne172, Aug 11, 10:19am
Thanks every one we like the idea of pine needles and sourcing them shouldn't be too hard or expensive.

bluefrog2, Oct 28, 5:02pm
Pine needles are the best, as long as you can find them. Pine plantations are a great source for easy collection. Remember to get permission first.
I've also used shredded shrubbery from my garden. Quality depends on the kind of shrub, and how good your shredder is.