Weed & Feed Lawns ?

deejayrobbied, Nov 3, 6:13am
I used weed and feed on my lawns last weekend and all the lawns have gone yellow. What have I done wrong? I did exactly wht I did last year and the lawns looked gorgeous and green all summer with no weeds.

tweake, Nov 3, 6:42am
to much used?
what brand? how much was applied and how big is the lawn?

deejayrobbied, Nov 3, 7:33am
approx 60 sq metres. Just a small patch in the front of the house. Didnt get around to doing the big back lawn thankfully. Hubby used Yates Weed and Feed. 5lts of water with 10 caps (5mls each).

comadi, Nov 3, 7:45am
Did you rinse the weed killer out of the container first :-/

deejayrobbied, Nov 3, 8:06am
It was a new sprayer :)

tweake, Nov 3, 9:57am
check what was used.
yates weed and feed is usually the hose on. ie connect hose to the container.
5mls sounds rather small for a cap. for concentrates yates come with a nice measuring thing on the side so you don't normally use a cap to measure with.

golfdiver, Nov 3, 5:36pm
Was it all weeds?

daves01, Nov 3, 5:40pm
Was your lawn particularly dry at all?

deejayrobbied, Nov 3, 6:39pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/422972878.jpg. Here is a before and after photo. Lawns were all new last Xmas. Anyway. damamge is done, I have been watering every evening. From readng other pages looks like chemical burrn unfortunately. What do I do now. New seed or what would you recommend? thanks

koru67, Nov 3, 6:47pm
needed the full stop off the end for it to work .
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/422972878.jpg

deejayrobbied, Nov 3, 6:54pm
Sorry, thanks for that :)

daves01, Nov 3, 7:02pm
That's not looking good at all. On the bright side you do seem proficient at getting complete coverage .
The obvious question is did hubby use the right container?

golfdiver, Nov 3, 7:33pm
Its all got to do with that purple car.

hazelnut2, Nov 3, 8:18pm
I have a dedicated 'weed and feed' sprayer and I use a 15% Weed and Feed and 85% water mix which I spray on by hand, as the water hose option doesn't work well for me. Your mix sounds fine to me.

I wonder if Yates have made a bad batch of their product?

stevo2, Nov 4, 5:41am
I think here is your problem. I very much doubt your lid will hold only 5 mls.
Remember 5 mls is a teaspoon full

fordcrzy, Nov 4, 6:00am
im betting the cap is 15-20 mls. why are kiwis so hell bent on weed and feed? you should use seperate products! a proper lawn fertiliser and then a broadleaf/specific weed killer. do a youtube search for "lawncarenut" and learn a heap.

tweake, Aug 9, 3:50pm
it depends on what lid was used.
did someone get the wrong size lid?
or use a different brand than normal?

then there is the debate about using weed&feed products at all.
ideally should not be using them at all.
both the weed spray and fert are available separately which allows you to use them at the correct times and when they are actually needed.

edit: snapped by fordcrzy