Moving a Hot Water Cylinder Question

backing_black, Nov 26, 2:47am
Anyone done it? Cost?
We got a new one a couple of years ago. It takes up living space. I'm wondering about the potential and cost of moving it up into the ceiling (right above it) . Given it probably weighs as much as a large elephant even the possibility of this

deanna14, Nov 26, 6:25am
We were going to move one recently but turned out we had to buy a new one specific to our new wood stove and that will get put up in the ceiling. Our oldest son removed the old one for us, from inside the house, wasn't a big deal. So I can't help you about cost as other things are being done at the same time. The more work you can do yourself, the smaller the bill. I thought the plumber would make the man hole bigger, but no they are going in through the colour steel roof. Oh, and empty, they don't weigh that much, two of us could lift it.

cagivachick1, Nov 26, 6:28am
get rid of it and put gas hot water in

ryanm2, Nov 26, 6:39am
Agree - it may cost about the same as moving the cylinder. Also, why anyone here in chch would put a hwc in their roof space these by choice is beyond me.

Also, are you mains pressure or do you have a header tank. Changing flow systems may also mean you have to change taps around the house.

sliphgrrl, Nov 26, 7:41am
gas hot water for the win!

backing_black, Nov 26, 9:04am
I think we are mains pressure. No heater tank - I think i would have found that by now.
Right how much is it about to convert to gas (although I have teens - might not be a good plan)

lythande1, Nov 26, 6:30pm
Can be tricky - they can start to leak after being moved around.

jonners2013, Jul 21, 3:47am
I had a few quotes a couple of months ago (this is in ChCh), they varied from $2,800 up to $4,500. Ended up going with iGas and they were very good. Think I paid about $3,400 in the end. I suppose cost could vary considerably depending on accessibility of all the things they need to get to.