Water pressures and new taps

sally63, Oct 27, 2:35am
We are rural so are on tanks and a pump.
I would like to put more modern taps in but am not sure how one goes around buying the correct taps, given that the water pressure would not be 'mains'.
What do I do or who do I call ?
Thanks!

budgel, Oct 27, 2:49am
Do your hot and cold taps have different pressures when turned on?
If so, unequal low. If the same, equal low. Some new taps accommodate either.

aj.2., Oct 27, 2:51am
Ok , you need to understand that low pressure taps when you turn them on , the spindle pulls the valve plate up with it , thus allowing the water to flow . They are crimped onto a indent on the shaft.

High pressure taps, just take the spindle off the valve plate , and the water pressure PUSH'S the valve plate off the seat , thus allowing the water to flow.
You can still buy low pressure taps, but go to a good plumping supply place, as if you get the wrong ones, you waste a lot of time sorting things out.
If the pipe work is solid enough you could look at using a pressure pump , you can set the pressure down low, even at 15psi you would get a good flow / pressure.
Most run at 30 psi, but that's not always needed.

sally63, Oct 27, 2:58am
Oh dear I don't have a clue what you are talking about!
I just turned the individual bath taps on and the cold tap runs harder than the hot. I am assuming, Budgel,, that it means unequal low.
Should i get a plumber out to check first or is this something I can look at myself aj.2?

The pipe work is only 12 years old so should be good.

Thanks for the comments btw

aj.2., Oct 27, 3:11am
sally63 wrote:
Oh dear I don't have a clue what you are talking about!
I just turned the individual bath taps on and the cold tap runs harder than the hot. I am assuming, Budgel,, that it means unequal low.
Should i get a plumber out to check first or is this something I can look at myself aj.2?
-------------------------------
--------------------
You may have a over head tank , which does the hot water supply
Now if you are on tank water and that main tank is up the hill , then it will be higher, and that will force the water thur more for the cold water.
So many things come into it, Yes I would get your plumper to look, .
And as I said even look at a low pressure water pump set up , easy to do , so look as the pipes inside the walls can take the pressure and most can.

ira78, Oct 28, 12:57am
Wouldn't it be mains? Lots of pumps will do roughly mains pressure, I'd be inclined to say if yours is only 12 years old it probably is.

sally63, Oct 28, 2:18am
Hot water is supplied thru gas system. Does this complicate matters? Best I get a plumber in but was trying to avoid that in the first instance. Thanks

lythande1, Oct 28, 2:30am
You make sure they are listed as Low Pressure. Not mains, high or both.

greeny, Oct 28, 4:01am
2 things

Advice from plumber

Get good quality taps my plumber recommends methern

sally63, Aug 17, 7:53pm
Thanks Greeny. Actually, thanks everyone:)