Agapanthas

gearbox1, Aug 24, 10:55pm
I have a lot of these by the back fence of my property. I have noticed the bottom part of the leaves have all gone yellow ! Recently my property got flooded and they would have been underwater for a while and I am wondering if this is what has caused this or is there another reason ? I know people hate the things but I love them !

dogbond, Aug 25, 12:31am
In love them too, and have them everywhere here! Those yellowing leaves do sound like they became waterlogged from the flood. Not sure what is the correct way to deal with it, but had it happen here once, and I just cut off the yellowing leaves,and left the plants to it, probably not a good thing, but the plants still flourished and flowered.

trad, Aug 25, 1:43am
Its pretty hard to kill them. A freindd dug some out and left them on concrete path for over a year - survived well.

dottyone1, Aug 25, 1:55am
yeah I had some in a tub of water for 6 months at least and they were fine

gearbox1, Aug 25, 2:24am
Yes I have heard they are impossible to kill - but my ones, which I have had for years - are currently looking really sick - all droopy and yellow on the bottom of the leaves ! I guess it's the flood !

macandrosie, Aug 25, 4:10am
Yep I'm another lover of agapanthus! Maybe it's cozI live in Southland & they never really get out of control down here. They get frosted each year but they certainly don't grow out of control! Might need a good haircut & a bit of fert? Or are they those plants that thrive in poorer soil?

gearbox1, Aug 25, 5:05am
Would sheep poo fertilizer help do you think ? Someone gave me a huge bag of the stuff and I am dying to chuck it somewhere ?

macandrosie, Aug 29, 7:37am
I don't know that they need alot of fertiliser. The are coastal loving plants & tolerate dry conditions so they are in no way demanding. I think the thing they would hate the most is having wet feet.

kindajojo, Aug 29, 10:39am
I would spray them with roundup, it doesn't work as a weed killer on them . and seems to make them thrive.

I don't like them

bvalc, Aug 30, 12:20am
They are a noxious weed, and shouldn't be propigated or sold.

tub4, Aug 31, 9:50am
is there anywhere one could get the seeds for these

rojill, Aug 31, 11:16am
+1. An absolute weed.

rita197, Sep 9, 8:19pm
They seed very easily from the old flowers. that is partly why they are a pest. Tear off yellow leaves and new fresh ones will grow. To slow them from self seeding simply cut off all the flowers as soon as they appear. Also pull out all little plants that are growing.

venna2, Sep 9, 8:31pm
If you love agapanthus and if they won't spread to neighbours' gardens, it's your right to grow them. For me, I'm encouraging the renga renga in my garden.

kaddiew, Sep 9, 8:58pm
I mass planted renga renga and they did well for a while but they attracted every snail and slug in the neighbourhood, and ended up looking awful. Love my agapanthus, especially the white ones.

lyingnun, Sep 9, 10:45pm
I love agapanthus too and although some regard them as a weed, they look lovely in the right setting and I will always grow them where space allows.

lettice, Sep 10, 4:40am
If you add a penetrant (Pulse is the one I use) to Roundup, it will work. It gets through the waxy coating on the leaves. I like my agapanthus, and from many years a big patch by my drive provided shelter for a nesting banded rail.

harrislucinda, Oct 5, 7:14am
I have some at the end of the drive hubby always sprayed them only tops die as bulbs under ground always came back
then when flower heads die off I spray them with a colour spray can gives them new life